PostgreSQL/ODBC/WinNT?

From
Jeffrey Lyon
Date:
Folks,

Will the lastest ODBC driver support Windows NT?  The site for it seems
to indicate that it will only work with Windows 95.  I have installed in
on a WinNT machine and it reports that the user cannot log in and that
the authentication type is unknown.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Lyon
lyonj@em-systems.com

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL/ODBC/WinNT?

From
Byron Nikolaidis
Date:
Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Will the lastest ODBC driver support Windows NT?  The site for it seems
> to indicate that it will only work with Windows 95.  I have installed in
> on a WinNT machine and it reports that the user cannot log in and that
> the authentication type is unknown.
>
> Suggestions?

Well, the driver is currently only for 32bit Windows.  There are people
using it with Windows NT as long as its the 32 bit version of NT (I
don't know what version NT became 32 bit).

The error you are seeing is probably something else.  There are a few
possibilities for that message:

authentication failed (user or password wasn't valid)
database doesn't exist

Byron

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL/ODBC/WinNT?

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Well, the driver is currently only for 32bit Windows.  There are people
> using it with Windows NT as long as its the 32 bit version of NT (I
> don't know what version NT became 32 bit).

I think Windows NT has always been 32 bit.  It's the 'regular' Windows
that became 32bit (sort of) with Windows 95.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Date:
> I think Windows NT has always been 32 bit.  It's the 'regular' Windows
> that became 32bit (sort of) with Windows 95.

I don't know much about NT and was going from what other people said.  If you
say its 32 bit then I will go with that.

Byron

Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Will the lastest ODBC driver support Windows NT?  The site for it seems
> to indicate that it will only work with Windows 95.  I have installed in
> on a WinNT machine and it reports that the user cannot log in and that
> the authentication type is unknown.

I thought about your problem some more, and I believe this might be because
the protocol between the driver and the backend do not match.  If you are
using Postgres 6.2 on the backend, then you must tell the driver to use the
6.2 protocol.

Got into 32bit ODBC administrator, and call up your datasource, under
Advanced Options, select "DataSource".

Check the "6.2 protocol" box.

See if this works for you.

Byron

Date:
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> > I think Windows NT has always been 32 bit.  It's the 'regular' Windows
> > that became 32bit (sort of) with Windows 95.
>
> I don't know much about NT and was going from what other people said.  If you
> say its 32 bit then I will go with that.

Linux and FreeBSD never had to brag about being 32 bit since they were
doing flat memory since their inception and didn't have to make it seem
like 32 bits was a 'new paradigm' in computing.