Outdated note about unique indexes

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
Hi,

I noticed that the note on a page about unique indexes

says "The preferred way to add a unique constraint to a table is ALTER TABLE ... ADD CONSTRAINT. The use of indexes to enforce unique constraints could be considered an implementation detail that should not be accessed directly... ".

That note has been there forever, in particular since before we supported CONCURRENTLY, which is pretty darn important in many uses nowadays. Since it seems like some users have taken this suggestion seriously, e.g. on stackoverflow[1], how about we remove this outdated suggestion? There is already a previous mention a few sections earlier[2] suggesting the use of CONCURRENTLY, so I don't think we really need to reiterate that suggestion here.

Josh

Attachment

Re: Outdated note about unique indexes

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> That note has been there forever, in particular since before we
> supported CONCURRENTLY, which is pretty darn important in many uses
> nowadays. Since it seems like some users have taken this suggestion
> seriously, e.g. on stackoverflow[1], how about we remove this outdated
> suggestion? There is already a previous mention a few sections
> earlier[2] suggesting the use of CONCURRENTLY, so I don't think we
> really need to reiterate that suggestion here.

+1

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Outdated note about unique indexes

Date:
On Wed, Jul  8, 2015 at 03:10:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > That note has been there forever, in particular since before we
> > supported CONCURRENTLY, which is pretty darn important in many uses
> > nowadays. Since it seems like some users have taken this suggestion
> > seriously, e.g. on stackoverflow[1], how about we remove this outdated
> > suggestion? There is already a previous mention a few sections
> > earlier[2] suggesting the use of CONCURRENTLY, so I don't think we
> > really need to reiterate that suggestion here.
>
> +1

Patch applied through 9.5.

  + Everyone has their own god. +