source download link in installation instructions

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
The installation instructions in the devel branch

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/install-getsource.html

contain a direct link to the tarball download

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3devel/postgresql-9.3devel.tar.gz

which doesn't exist.  It will presumably exist once there is a final
release, but I think it's bad to have that link broken in the meantime,
especially when beta comes around.  It's also not clear whether ftp and
tar.gz are necessarily the preferred download means anymore.

Should we just provide a link to http://www.postgresql.org/download/ or
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/ instead?  Or perhaps just "ifdef"
out the broken link in the devel versions?

Re: source download link in installation instructions

From
Magnus Hagander

On Feb 5, 2013 3:58 AM, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> The installation instructions in the devel branch
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/install-getsource.html
>
> contain a direct link to the tarball download
>
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3devel/postgresql-9.3devel.tar.gz
>
> which doesn't exist.  It will presumably exist once there is a final
> release, but I think it's bad to have that link broken in the meantime,
> especially when beta comes around.  It's also not clear whether ftp and
> tar.gz are necessarily the preferred download means anymore.
>
> Should we just provide a link to http://www.postgresql.org/download/ or
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/ instead?  Or perhaps just "ifdef"
> out the broken link in the devel versions?

Linking to /download/ seems like the best thing. Both because it gives you a list of all the options, and because we don't lock into a specific structure on the site. Not that we've change it recently, but links in the docs are very permanent..

/Magnus