postgresql manuals

From
antonio guerra
Date:
why all postegresql manuals are not readible?
If  I try to open it it says me "file is corrupted and it is impossible
to repair it".
regards,

Antonio Guerra

Re: postgresql manuals

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
antonio guerra <antonio_guerra@alice.it> wrote:
> why all postegresql manuals are not readible?
> If  I try to open it it says me "file is corrupted and it is
> impossible to repair it".

What URL(s)?

-Kevin

Re: postgresql manuals

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
[Please keep the list copied.]

http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf

> all .pdf files are not readible.

I opened the referenced document with all of these (in kubuntu
Linux):

xpdf version 3.02
Okular version 0.10.5
Document Viewer 2.30.3

All worked fine.  What did you use?  Have you checked whether you're
using the latest version of whatever viewer you tried?

-Kevin

Re: postgresql manuals

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
antonio guerra <antonio_guerra@alice.it> wrote:
> Il 29/03/2012 14.03, Kevin Grittner ha scritto:
>> [Please keep the list copied.]

>> antonio guerra  wrote:

http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf
>>> all .pdf files are not readible.
>>
>> I opened the referenced document with all of these (in kubuntu
>> Linux):
>>
>> xpdf version 3.02
>> Okular version 0.10.5
>> Document Viewer 2.30.3
>>
>> All worked fine.  What did you use?  Have you checked whether
>> you're using the latest version of whatever viewer you tried?

> I use a p.c. under windows xp and acrobat reader 8.0.
> I updated acrobat to the latest version but it seems me that is
> not working yet.

I tried Adobe Reader 9 version 9.4.7 and it works fine, including
thumbnails and table of contents.  What exact version does "Help" ->
"About Adobe Reader 9..." show?

Maybe a download problem?  When I run md5sum against the file, I
get:

ba50d312b97b222627e75b0aefba91a4  postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf

How about you?

-Kevin

Re: postgresql manuals

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> antonio guerra <antonio_guerra@alice.it> wrote:
>
>> I use a p.c. under windows xp and acrobat reader 8.0.
>> I updated acrobat to the latest version but it seems me that is
>> not working yet.
>
> I tried Adobe Reader 9 version 9.4.7 and it works fine, including
> thumbnails and table of contents.  What exact version does "Help" ->
> "About Adobe Reader 9..." show?
>
> Maybe a download problem?  When I run md5sum against the file, I
> get:
>
> ba50d312b97b222627e75b0aefba91a4  postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf
>
> How about you?

i wonder if there is some tool to generate an md5sum in windows.
[...googling...}
and there are tools for that, this is one: http://www.md5summer.org/

anyway, if your using windows try deactivating any antivirus you have
installed (when i used windows years ago i had problems with downloads
because of that)

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación

Re: postgresql manuals

From
Basil Bourque
Date:
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf

That particular file is in PDF 1.4 format, invented in 1999. So nearly any viewer app should be able to open it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Acrobat#Version_4.0

Re: postgresql manuals

From
vilpesh
Date:
Hello all,

I have been downloading the postgresql manual in pdf form.
I had downloaded for 9.1 release pdf in both A4 and US formats.

I tried opening the pdf files on windows 7 using Acrobat Reader X version
10.1.3 and Foxit reader 5.3.1.0606, but both do make complaints of the pdf
file.

Please suggest alternatives to above pdf readers or please verify the
correctness of the pdf files.

Thanks.

Re: postgresql manuals

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM, vilpesh <vil_mistry@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been downloading the postgresql manual in pdf form.
> I had downloaded for 9.1 release pdf in both A4 and US formats.
>
> I tried opening the pdf files on windows 7 using Acrobat Reader X version
> 10.1.3 and Foxit reader 5.3.1.0606, but both do make complaints of the pdf
> file.
>
> Please suggest alternatives to above pdf readers or please verify the
> correctness of the pdf files.

The 9.1 A4 PDF file from here:
  http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf

seems fine to me. I tried the same version of Foxit reader on Windows
2003 R2, and am able to view it without trouble. Chrome, Preview, and
the pyPdf library on OS X also have no troubles.

What "complaint" exactly do you see in Acrobat Reader and/or Foxit?
Are you able to download and open other PDFs from the web? Also, could
you verify the location you downloaded the PDF from, the size of the
.pdf file, and if possible the md5sum as well?

Josh

Re: postgresql manuals

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 07/17/2012 07:26 PM, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM, vilpesh <vil_mistry@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been downloading the postgresql manual in pdf form.
>> I had downloaded for 9.1 release pdf in both A4 and US formats.
>>
>> I tried opening the pdf files on windows 7 using Acrobat Reader X version
>> 10.1.3 and Foxit reader 5.3.1.0606, but both do make complaints of the pdf
>> file.
>>
>> Please suggest alternatives to above pdf readers or please verify the
>> correctness of the pdf files.
>
> The 9.1 A4 PDF file from here:
>   http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-A4.pdf
>
> seems fine to me. I tried the same version of Foxit reader on Windows
> 2003 R2, and am able to view it without trouble. Chrome, Preview, and
> the pyPdf library on OS X also have no troubles.
>
> What "complaint" exactly do you see in Acrobat Reader and/or Foxit?
> Are you able to download and open other PDFs from the web? Also, could
> you verify the location you downloaded the PDF from, the size of the
> .pdf file, and if possible the md5sum as well?

yeah - exact details on the observed failures and issues would be very
much appreciated. We made some refinements to the way we build and
"optimize" the pdfs recently mostly to optimized the quality and the
size of the files, and while we did extensive testing on a variety of
platforms and pdf viewers there might still be some odd platforms that
behave differently.

Stefan

Re: postgresql manuals

From
vilpesh
Date:
Hi Josh & Stefan,

Download location of postgresql-9.1-US
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
specifically
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-US.pdf

Details of postgresql-9.1-US
File : 2.41 MB
MD5 checksum : 9769ad5ce059c295f08666b20a1c4e55
(calculated using winMD5FREE. www.winmd5.com)

When opening the pdf in Acrobat Reader X version 10.1.13 on windows 7, i get
the message
"There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not
be repaired".

When opening the pdf in Foxit Reader 5.3.1.0606 on windows 7, i get the
message
"format error : not a pdf or corrupted.".

I could open other pdf files downloaded from internet using both Acrobat
Reader X and Foxit Reader.

Thanks.

Re: postgresql manuals

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from vilpesh's message of jue jul 19 07:47:29 -0400 2012:
> Hi Josh & Stefan,
>
> Download location of postgresql-9.1-US
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
> specifically
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.1/postgresql-9.1-US.pdf
>
> Details of postgresql-9.1-US
> File : 2.41 MB

You have a problem right there, because as I download that file it is
6106284 bytes (5.8M).