9.0 PDFs lost 'bookmarks' tab

From
"Erik Rijkers"
Date:
Something seems to have gone wrong with generating the version 9.0 PDFs on the website: both A4
and US have no bookmarks tab.   (I'm reading with Adobe Reader 7.0.0)

Just now I pulled from git.postgresql.org, and built the 9.0 and 9.1 A4 PDFs: these are both OK
(have the bookmarks tab).

(The 8.4.4 A4 PDF on the site is OK too)

ISTM this is worth fixing; without bookmark-tabs the PDFs are much less accessible.

Erik Rijkers

Re: 9.0 PDFs lost 'bookmarks' tab

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
"Erik Rijkers" <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Something seems to have gone wrong with generating the version 9.0
> PDFs on the website: both A4 and US have no bookmarks tab.   (I'm
> reading with Adobe Reader 7.0.0)

Odd.  From this page:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

With Okular Version 0.9.2 the 9.0 US PDF has a working Bookmarks
tab, as well as the Thumbnail and Reviews tabs, but the Contents tab
is disabled.  (It works with the 8.4 US PDF.)

Perhaps it has something to do with the filtering to reduce the file
size; it may have had some unexpected side effects.

-Kevin

Re: 9.0 PDFs lost 'bookmarks' tab

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 28 September 2010 15:30, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> "Erik Rijkers" <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Something seems to have gone wrong with generating the version 9.0
>> PDFs on the website: both A4 and US have no bookmarks tab.   (I'm
>> reading with Adobe Reader 7.0.0)
>
> Odd.  From this page:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>
> With Okular Version 0.9.2 the 9.0 US PDF has a working Bookmarks
> tab, as well as the Thumbnail and Reviews tabs, but the Contents tab
> is disabled.  (It works with the 8.4 US PDF.)
>
> Perhaps it has something to do with the filtering to reduce the file
> size; it may have had some unexpected side effects.

Yes the JPDFTweak process may have stripped that out. :S  I can
confirm the issue :/

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Date:
On 28 September 2010 15:36, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 28 September 2010 15:30, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
>> "Erik Rijkers" <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Something seems to have gone wrong with generating the version 9.0
>>> PDFs on the website: both A4 and US have no bookmarks tab.   (I'm
>>> reading with Adobe Reader 7.0.0)
>>
>> Odd.  From this page:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>>
>> With Okular Version 0.9.2 the 9.0 US PDF has a working Bookmarks
>> tab, as well as the Thumbnail and Reviews tabs, but the Contents tab
>> is disabled.  (It works with the 8.4 US PDF.)
>>
>> Perhaps it has something to do with the filtering to reduce the file
>> size; it may have had some unexpected side effects.
>
> Yes the JPDFTweak process may have stripped that out. :S  I can
> confirm the issue :/

Just experimented, and found that even if you tell it to use
"pdfmarks" (using -om), the bookmarks are still lost, so not sure that
option will help.  I could only get the bookmarks back if I exported
the bookmarks and re-imported them:

java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i inputfile.pdf -savebookmarks bookmarks.csv
java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i inputfile.pdf -os -loadbookmarks
bookmarks.csv -o outputfile.pdf

--

Date:
On 28 September 2010 16:29, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 28 September 2010 15:36, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>>> Odd.  From this page:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>>>
>>> With Okular Version 0.9.2 the 9.0 US PDF has a working Bookmarks
>>> tab, as well as the Thumbnail and Reviews tabs, but the Contents tab
>>> is disabled.  (It works with the 8.4 US PDF.)
>>>
>>> Perhaps it has something to do with the filtering to reduce the file
>>> size; it may have had some unexpected side effects.
>>
>> Yes the JPDFTweak process may have stripped that out. :S  I can
>> confirm the issue :/
>
> Just experimented, and found that even if you tell it to use
> "pdfmarks" (using -om), the bookmarks are still lost, so not sure that
> option will help.  I could only get the bookmarks back if I exported
> the bookmarks and re-imported them:
>
> java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i inputfile.pdf -savebookmarks bookmarks.csv
> java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i inputfile.pdf -os -loadbookmarks
> bookmarks.csv -o outputfile.pdf

...and the output file is about 10% larger than the normal optimised file.