documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

Date:
Is anybody maintaining
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
?

For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
are

    PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log

    Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
    Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'

    No changes in this build

    Build completed successfully.

    View or download the documentation.

even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

            regards, tom lane

Re: documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

Tom Lane wrote:
> Is anybody maintaining
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
> ?
>
> For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
> build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
> cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
> isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
> are
>
>     PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log
>
>     Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
>     Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'
>
>     No changes in this build
>
>     Build completed successfully.
>
>     View or download the documentation.
>
> even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

I have fixed that commit.

Re: documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Is anybody maintaining
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
> ?
>
> For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
> build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
> cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
> isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
> are
>
>        PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log
>
>        Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
>        Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'
>
>        No changes in this build
>
>        Build completed successfully.
>
>        View or download the documentation.
>
> even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

Iirc, that's built by one of Peter's scripts.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 05/27/2010 01:55 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Is anybody maintaining
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
> ?
>
> For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
> build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
> cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
> isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
> are
>
>     PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log
>
>     Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
>     Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'
>
>     No changes in this build
>
>     Build completed successfully.
>
>     View or download the documentation.
>
> even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

hmm - maybe we should monitor as part of the main monitoring
infrastructure just like we monitor the snapshot builds...
However if the docs failed to build for a while I wonder why the
snapshots are still getting done...

Stefan

Re: documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> On 05/27/2010 01:55 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is anybody maintaining
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
>> ?
>>
>> For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
>> build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.

> hmm - maybe we should monitor as part of the main monitoring
> infrastructure just like we monitor the snapshot builds...
> However if the docs failed to build for a while I wonder why the
> snapshots are still getting done...

I think the job is running when it's supposed to, it's just failing to
update the output page when it fails.  The page updates PDQ when the
docs build is OK.

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 01:55 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Is anybody maintaining
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
> > ?
> >
> > For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
> > build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
> > cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
> > isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
> > are
> >
> >     PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log
> >
> >     Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
> >     Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'
> >
> >     No changes in this build
> >
> >     Build completed successfully.
> >
> >     View or download the documentation.
> >
> > even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.
>
> hmm - maybe we should monitor as part of the main monitoring
> infrastructure just like we monitor the snapshot builds...
> However if the docs failed to build for a while I wonder why the
> snapshots are still getting done...

Peter, I think I can fix the script if you would tell me how to update
it.  The code is based on a shell script I originally wrote.

Re: documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On ons, 2010-05-26 at 19:55 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Is anybody maintaining
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
> ?
>
> For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
> build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
> cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
> isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
> are
>
>     PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log
>
>     Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
>     Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'

I think both of these issues (certainly the latter) are fixed now.

Btw., the code and working space for this job are at ~petere/PGDOC/ on
developer.postgresql.org.  Anyone with a shell account can peek around
there.