"distributed checkpoint"

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Am I the only one who finds the phrase "distributed checkpointing" a bit
awkward?  Would it be better if we used "time-distributed checkpointing"
instead?

The phrase is used in the release notes, but it's not used anywhere in
the main docs.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"Hay quien adquiere la mala costumbre de ser infeliz" (M. A. Evans)

Re: "distributed checkpoint"

Date:
> Am I the only one who finds the phrase "distributed checkpointing" a bit
> awkward?  Would it be better if we used "time-distributed checkpointing"
> instead?

Yeah, "distributed" has a bunch of connotations that are wrong for this
purpose.

I spent a bit of time with a thesaurus but didn't come up with anything
that seemed le mot juste.  Best I could do was "spread checkpoint"
or "time-extended checkpoint".  Anybody have a better idea?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:19:44PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:44:49 -0500
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
> > > Am I the only one who finds the phrase "distributed checkpointing"
> > > a bit awkward?  Would it be better if we used "time-distributed
> > > checkpointing" instead?
> >
> > Yeah, "distributed" has a bunch of connotations that are wrong for
> > this purpose.
> >
> > I spent a bit of time with a thesaurus but didn't come up with
> > anything that seemed le mot juste.  Best I could do was "spread
> > checkpoint" or "time-extended checkpoint".  Anybody have a better
> > idea?
>
> balanced
> gradual
> extended (I see you mention time-extended but wouldn't time be implicit
> based on the actual docs and thus we only need extended?)

How about "smoothed?"

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
Andrew Dunstan

David Fetter wrote:

>> balanced
>> gradual
>> extended (I see you mention time-extended but wouldn't time be implicit
>> based on the actual docs and thus we only need extended?)
>>

> How about "smoothed?"

perhaps we should call it Jacob checkpointing, then.

cheers

andrew

Re: "distributed checkpoint"

From
Albert Cervera i Areny
Date:
A Dijous 06 Desembre 2007, Alvaro Herrera va escriure:
> Am I the only one who finds the phrase "distributed checkpointing" a bit
> awkward?  Would it be better if we used "time-distributed checkpointing"
> instead?
>
> The phrase is used in the release notes, but it's not used anywhere in
> the main docs.

To me, non-native english speaker, time-distributed seems the clearer one.

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 19:43 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:19:44PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:44:49 -0500
> > Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > > Yeah, "distributed" has a bunch of connotations that are wrong for
> > > this purpose.
> > >
> > > I spent a bit of time with a thesaurus but didn't come up with
> > > anything that seemed le mot juste.  Best I could do was "spread
> > > checkpoint" or "time-extended checkpoint".  Anybody have a better
> > > idea?
> >
> > balanced
> > gradual
> > extended (I see you mention time-extended but wouldn't time be implicit
> > based on the actual docs and thus we only need extended?)
>
> How about "smoothed?"

Agreed

"Smoothed" makes a lot of sense for me. We used to have a checkpoint
spike, now we don't.

Perhaps we should say something like "time extended checkpoints provide
smoother (transaction?) response times"

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:

> "Smoothed" makes a lot of sense for me. We used to have a checkpoint
> spike, now we don't.

To be accurate, there used to be a huge and unavoidable spike, now there's
a control that aims to make it smaller.  The problem hasn't completely
gone away yet.

With that in mind, let me start over.  Here's what's in the release notes
right now:

"Distributed checkpoints prevent I/O spikes during checkpoints"

It's good this came up, because that is factually wrong; while the average
case is much better some OS-dependant aspects of the spike (what happens
at fsync) are certainly still there.  I think it's easier to rewrite this
whole thing so it's technically accurate rather than a simple fix of the
wording, something like this:

"Checkpoint writes can be spread over a longer time period to smooth the
I/O spike during each checkpoint"

It's got spread, it's got smooth, and if I could have worked "silky" in
there too I would have.

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:

> It's good this came up, because that is factually wrong; while the average
> case is much better some OS-dependant aspects of the spike (what happens at
> fsync) are certainly still there.  I think it's easier to rewrite this
> whole thing so it's technically accurate rather than a simple fix of the
> wording, something like this:
>
> "Checkpoint writes can be spread over a longer time period to smooth the
> I/O spike during each checkpoint"

Thanks, I changed it to this.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"No necesitamos banderas

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Just FYI, it's going to be difficult to replace the name of the feature in
the PR docs at this point; I already have 11 translations.  What's *wrong*
with "Load Distributed Checkpoint", which is what we've been calling it
for 6 months?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Just FYI, it's going to be difficult to replace the name of the feature in
> the PR docs at this point; I already have 11 translations.  What's *wrong*
> with "Load Distributed Checkpoint", which is what we've been calling it
> for 6 months?

There was nothing *wrong* with the old wording, but the new wording is
clearer?  Do you disagree it is clearer?  I don't think it makes sense
to keep less-clear wording just to match press release translations.

It is not like we are changing the wording 24 hours before final
release.  There will perhaps be other adjustments that might be needed
for the press release.  Also, the non-English press release isn't going
to match the English release notes word-for-word anyway (they aren't in
English) so is the new naming that big an issue?

I suggest you update the English press release and ask as many
translators who want to update theirs.

Date:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

> What's *wrong* with "Load Distributed Checkpoint", which is what we've
> been calling it for 6 months?

One issue was that "distributed" has some association with distributed
computing, which isn't actually the case.  "Spread" is also more
descriptive of what actually ended up being committed.  Those are fairly
subtle wording issues that I wouldn't necessarily expect to survive
translation.

The other problem was that the original description over-sold the feature
a bit.  It said "prevent I/O spikes" when it actually just reduces them.
Still possible to have a spike, it probably won't be as big though.  Your
call on whether correcting that mischaracterization is worth bothering the
translators over.

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Just FYI, it's going to be difficult to replace the name of the feature in
> the PR docs at this point; I already have 11 translations.  What's *wrong*
> with "Load Distributed Checkpoint", which is what we've been calling it
> for 6 months?

Is a translator really not able to change 3 words in a week?  Come again.

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
Hi! I'm a .signature virus!

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Just FYI, it's going to be difficult to replace the name of the feature in
>> the PR docs at this point; I already have 11 translations.  What's *wrong*
>> with "Load Distributed Checkpoint", which is what we've been calling it
>> for 6 months?
>
> Is a translator really not able to change 3 words in a week?  Come again.

I think it is likely more about being able to reach the translators. The
more common ones such as yourself are obvious but others may not be.

Either way, I think that the change is valid and we need to do it.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg, All:

> The other problem was that the original description over-sold the feature
> a bit.  It said "prevent I/O spikes" when it actually just reduces them.
> Still possible to have a spike, it probably won't be as big though.  Your
> call on whether correcting that mischaracterization is worth bothering the
> translators over.

Sounds like I'd better.  Sending out this afternoon.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun