BIGINT is in apparently SQL:2003

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
Hello!

According to the developers docs

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/datatype-
numeric.html#DATATYPE-INT

> SQL only specifies the integer types integer (or int) and smallint.
> The type bigint, and the type names int2, int4, and int8 are
> extensions, which are shared with various other SQL database systems.

In the SQL:2003 draft I have (ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003 (E)), BIGINT is
listed as well as SMALLINT and INT.

> 4.1.2 Naming of predefined types
> SQL defines predefined data types named by the following <key
> word>s: CHARACTER, CHARACTER
> VARYING, CHARACTER LARGE OBJECT, BINARY LARGE OBJECT, NUMERIC,
> DECIMAL,
> SMALLINT, INTEGER, BIGINT, FLOAT, REAL, DOUBLE PRECISION, BOOLEAN,
> DATE, TIME,
> TIMESTAMP, and INTERVAL.

And in "6.1  <data type>"

> 23)SMALLINT, INTEGER, and BIGINT specify the data type exact
> numeric, with scale of 0 (zero) and binary or decimal precision.
> The choice of binary versus decimal precision is implementation-
> defined, but the same radix shall be chosen for all three data
> types. The precision of SMALLINT shall be less than or equal to the
> precision of INTEGER, and the precision of BIGINT shall be greater
> than or equal to the precision of INTEGER.

There are references

I thought the SQL conformance page could be updated too

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/features-sql-
standard.html

> E011-01    Core    INTEGER and SMALLINT data types

but it appears that the BIGINT language doesn't yet appear in E011-01
Core: it reads the same as in the docs. The BIGINT feature is
referred to as Feature T071 “BIGINT data type”. There are references
that BIGINT should correspond to C's long long (13.6  Data type
correspondences), so PostgreSQL conforms on that point as well.

I don't know when I'll get around to submitting a doc patch for this,
but I wanted to at least put it to the list.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: BIGINT is in apparently SQL:2003

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2007 04:35 schrieb Michael Glaesemann:
> > SQL only specifies the integer types integer (or int) and smallint.
> > The type bigint, and the type names int2, int4, and int8 are
> > extensions, which are shared with various other SQL database systems.
>
> In the SQL:2003 draft I have (ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003 (E)), BIGINT is
> listed as well as SMALLINT and INT.

I have adjusted this part.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
On Jul 27, 2007, at 5:37 , Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2007 04:35 schrieb Michael Glaesemann:
>>> SQL only specifies the integer types integer (or int) and smallint.
>>> The type bigint, and the type names int2, int4, and int8 are
>>> extensions, which are shared with various other SQL database
>>> systems.
>>
>> In the SQL:2003 draft I have (ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003 (E)), BIGINT is
>> listed as well as SMALLINT and INT.
>
> I have adjusted this part.

Thanks, Peter.

Michael Glaesemann