7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
elein
Date:
Have the fonts gone wild in the new 7.4 documentation?

In the tables describing the functions and
operators and in the table of contents,
there are at least three different fonts
of varied sizes. The usage for different types
of objects seems to be fairly consistent,
however, the varied sizes of the different fonts
make things very hard to read.

Is there anything I or someone can do to help this problem?

elein

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

> of varied sizes. The usage for different types
> of objects seems to be fairly consistent,
> however, the varied sizes of the different fonts
> make things very hard to read.

Elein is correct, our variety of styles does look odd and can cause issues
with readability.    See, for example,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-string.html

Can we experiment with different SGML-to-HMTL font styles to find one that's a
little easier on the eyes?   What I find particularly difficult are the
function parameter columns; the mix of "normal" italics with "bold" italics.

Comments?  Responses?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 15:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> People,
>
> > of varied sizes. The usage for different types
> > of objects seems to be fairly consistent,
> > however, the varied sizes of the different fonts
> > make things very hard to read.
>
> Elein is correct, our variety of styles does look odd and can cause issues
> with readability.    See, for example,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-string.html
>
> Can we experiment with different SGML-to-HMTL font styles to find one that's a
> little easier on the eyes?   What I find particularly difficult are the
> function parameter columns; the mix of "normal" italics with "bold" italics.
>
> Comments?  Responses?

Whatever we had in 7.3 we should switch back to:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/functions-string.html

Robert Treat

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> Elein is correct, our variety of styles does look odd and can cause issues
> with readability.    See, for example,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-string.html
>
> Can we experiment with different SGML-to-HMTL font styles to find one that's a
> little easier on the eyes?   What I find particularly difficult are the
> function parameter columns; the mix of "normal" italics with "bold" italics.

Compare with the "original" version:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/functions-string.html

That looks fairly reasonable to me.  So the problem appears to be in the
CSS stylesheets.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Peter Eisentraut writes:

> > Elein is correct, our variety of styles does look odd and can cause issues
> > with readability.    See, for example,
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-string.html

> Compare with the "original" version:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/functions-string.html
>
> That looks fairly reasonable to me.  So the problem appears to be in the
> CSS stylesheets.

This page puts the discrepancies in words:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/notation.html

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 05:10 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Can we experiment with different SGML-to-HMTL font styles to find one
> that's a
> little easier on the eyes?   What I find particularly difficult are the
> function parameter columns; the mix of "normal" italics with "bold"
> italics.
>
> Comments?  Responses?

As Peter has pointed out, the CSS can handle a lot of it. It doesn't
have to be hardcoded into the SGML-to-HTML transformation. One option
would be to use colors as well (I'm not talking a rainbow of fruit
flavors here :). In particular, I find italics often difficult to read
on the web. I'll try to get a few styles worked up by tomorrow that
could just be added to the css file—we can change the actual structure
of the HTML later.

Michael

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 05:10 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Can we experiment with different SGML-to-HMTL font styles to find one
> > that's a
> > little easier on the eyes?   What I find particularly difficult are the
> > function parameter columns; the mix of "normal" italics with "bold"
> > italics.
> >
> > Comments?  Responses?
>
> As Peter has pointed out, the CSS can handle a lot of it. It doesn't
> have to be hardcoded into the SGML-to-HTML transformation. One option
> would be to use colors as well (I'm not talking a rainbow of fruit
> flavors here :). In particular, I find italics often difficult to read
> on the web. I'll try to get a few styles worked up by tomorrow that

I think it is the monospace italics that really look bad.

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 12:56 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 05:10 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Can we experiment with different SGML-to-HMTL font styles to find one
>>> that's a
>>> little easier on the eyes?   What I find particularly difficult are
>>> the
>>> function parameter columns; the mix of "normal" italics with "bold"
>>> italics.
>>>
>>> Comments?  Responses?
>>
>> As Peter has pointed out, the CSS can handle a lot of it. It doesn't
>> have to be hardcoded into the SGML-to-HTML transformation. One option
>> would be to use colors as well (I'm not talking a rainbow of fruit
>> flavors here :). In particular, I find italics often difficult to read
>> on the web. I'll try to get a few styles worked up by tomorrow that
>
> I think it is the monospace italics that really look bad.

I'd have to agree with you. Making them a color other than the text
(black) or the links (blue/purple depending on your eyes) would set
them off quite well. Serif fonts at small sizes can also be pretty
nasty, though this isn't an issue with the PostgreSQL docs.

Michael

Re: [pgsql-www] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> >> As Peter has pointed out, the CSS can handle a lot of it. It doesn't
> >> have to be hardcoded into the SGML-to-HTML transformation. One option
> >> would be to use colors as well (I'm not talking a rainbow of fruit
> >> flavors here :). In particular, I find italics often difficult to read
> >> on the web. I'll try to get a few styles worked up by tomorrow that
> >
> > I think it is the monospace italics that really look bad.
>
> I'd have to agree with you. Making them a color other than the text
> (black) or the links (blue/purple depending on your eyes) would set
> them off quite well. Serif fonts at small sizes can also be pretty
> nasty, though this isn't an issue with the PostgreSQL docs.

If we go with color, making them printable on a non-color printer
becomes a problem.

Date:
On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 01:36 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I think it is the monospace italics that really look bad.
>>
>> I'd have to agree with you. Making them a color other than the text
>> (black) or the links (blue/purple depending on your eyes) would set
>> them off quite well. Serif fonts at small sizes can also be pretty
>> nasty, though this isn't an issue with the PostgreSQL docs.
>
> If we go with color, making them printable on a non-color printer
> becomes a problem.

Good point. A way to handle this is to use an additional style sheet
for media="print" that distinguishes between the
keywords/parameters/functions in a different way. If we make any
changes to how syntax is represented, the conventions page will need to
be rewritten, and an option would be to rewrite it in a way that does
not explicitly spell out the differences (e.g., "italics ( example )
indicate placeholders; "), but rather present a table or an example
showing the different parts. This way the style sheets will always be
in congruence with the notation explanation.

Just an idea. I think it's good to have some redundancy in
distinguishing these things. Not only for those without color printers
(poor souls ;) but also for people who have trouble distinguishing
color differences.

When I was experimenting with different color schemes, I thought about
perhaps matching the syntax coloring of my editor, BBEdit. However, I'm
sure not all editors use the same color scheme (the ANSI SQL language
module for BBEdit displays only blue (keywords), pink (strings), and
black (everything else). The blue would conflict with the current link
color, and I'd rather not use pink unless everyone else thinks it's a
good idea.) I'm interested in hearing what editors others use for
coding, and what syntax coloring schemes they use for SQL.

Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> When I was experimenting with different color schemes, I thought about
> perhaps matching the syntax coloring of my editor, BBEdit. However, I'm
> sure not all editors use the same color scheme (the ANSI SQL language
> module for BBEdit displays only blue (keywords), pink (strings), and
> black (everything else). The blue would conflict with the current link
> color, and I'd rather not use pink unless everyone else thinks it's a
> good idea.) I'm interested in hearing what editors others use for
> coding, and what syntax coloring schemes they use for SQL.

Yes, colorizing editors really help me understand the code.  I use
Crisp, which is a commercial editor.

Re: [pgsql-www] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:16:58PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> > When I was experimenting with different color schemes, I thought about
> > perhaps matching the syntax coloring of my editor, BBEdit. However, I'm
> > sure not all editors use the same color scheme (the ANSI SQL language
> > module for BBEdit displays only blue (keywords), pink (strings), and
> > black (everything else). The blue would conflict with the current link
> > color, and I'd rather not use pink unless everyone else thinks it's a
> > good idea.) I'm interested in hearing what editors others use for
> > coding, and what syntax coloring schemes they use for SQL.

I use vim, it has good SQL coloring syntax. The one problem that I'd like
to fix in it is that the body of PL/pgSQL functions are shown as a big
string.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +

Date:
On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 02:31 AM, Roberto Mello wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:16:58PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>>> When I was experimenting with different color schemes, I thought
>>> about
>>> perhaps matching the syntax coloring of my editor, BBEdit. However,
>>> I'm
>>> sure not all editors use the same color scheme (the ANSI SQL language
>>> module for BBEdit displays only blue (keywords), pink (strings), and
>>> black (everything else). The blue would conflict with the current
>>> link
>>> color, and I'd rather not use pink unless everyone else thinks it's a
>>> good idea.) I'm interested in hearing what editors others use for
>>> coding, and what syntax coloring schemes they use for SQL.
>
> I use vim, it has good SQL coloring syntax. The one problem that I'd
> like
> to fix in it is that the body of PL/pgSQL functions are shown as a big
> string.

I know what  you mean. Same thing in BBEdit. Really, that's what they
are, but it'd be nice if there were some way of distinguishing the
parts of the strings. One of the issues is that (at least for BBEdit)
the SQL syntax coloring is based on ANSI SQL, not PostgreSQL. I'd like
to hack my own language module for this, but haven't got around to
doing it.

On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 02:16 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Yes, colorizing editors really help me understand the code.  I use
> Crisp, which is a commercial editor.
Visiting the CRiSP site, I see they have a Mac version for demo. I'll
give it a whirl, and see what their colors are like.

Date:
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Just an idea. I think it's good to have some redundancy in
> distinguishing these things. Not only for those without color printers
> (poor souls ;) but also for people who have trouble distinguishing
> color differences.

Yes.  I don't have an objection to using color, but it has to be in
addition to a font difference, not a substitute for a font difference.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> > > color, and I'd rather not use pink unless everyone else thinks it's a
> > > good idea.)

Nooooo!   pink on white == totally illegible

> I use vim, it has good SQL coloring syntax. The one problem that I'd like
> to fix in it is that the body of PL/pgSQL functions are shown as a big
> string.

Yeah.  In Kate (with the PostgreSQL plug-in) I frequently wait until I'm done
writing the procedure to quote it.   What we could really use is a postgresql
function editor with syntax highlighting, perhaps as a bonus to pgAdmin or
pgAccess.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 02:49 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Guys,

Yes, Josh, I *am* your father.

> Nooooo!

(Sorry ;)

>  pink on white == totally illegible

Tell me about it! (Guess I could just make a little trip to preferences
to change it...)

> Yeah.  In Kate (with the PostgreSQL plug-in) I frequently wait until
> I'm done
> writing the procedure to quote it.

Nice to hear there are PostgreSQL-specific plug-ins out there. I assume
it picks up the additional PostgreSQL keywords?

Re: [pgsql-www] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Le Jeudi 20 Novembre 2003 16:36, Bruce Momjian a écrit :

> > > I think it is the monospace italics that really look bad.
> >
> > I'd have to agree with you. Making them a color other than the text
> > (black) or the links (blue/purple depending on your eyes) would set
> > them off quite well. Serif fonts at small sizes can also be pretty
> > nasty, though this isn't an issue with the PostgreSQL docs.
>
> If we go with color, making them printable on a non-color printer
> becomes a problem.
This is not totaly true.

You can have alternate stylesheets depending on the media : on colorized for
screen, one black and white for printer. Latest releases of current browers
(mozilla, ie6) are able to handle these tags :
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="2columnspg.css" media="screen"
    title="TwoColumn">
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="printpg.css" media="print">

Adding a title make them available for stylesheet switching in the browser
(mozilla).

--
Guillaume
  <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
"Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29"
Date:
[sNip]
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-string.html
[sNip]
> Whatever we had in 7.3 we should switch back to:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/functions-string.html

        I think the fancy fonts should be abandonded altogether in favour of
using the web browser's default fonts.  In Opera, the text on both of those
page (quoted above) are difficult to read because the choice of font is
horrible.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This message originated from within a secure, reliable,
high-performance network ... a Novell NetWare network.

Re: [pgsql-www] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
elein
Date:
It is *much* more important to have legible black and
white text than it is to introduce colors.

Don't run off track with the colors--it would be a bonus
extra.  Also, wrt colors, it is important to choose
colors in a way that handle color blindness.  I had
a great URL on this that I can't find right now,
but the topic is google-able.

Also, especially since not everyone sees the same
colors, you will *never* agree on syntax colors.
(That is why I inevitably edit my vim syntax files.)

--elein

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:14:53PM +0000, Guillaume LELARGE wrote:

> > > I'd have to agree with you. Making them a color other than the text
> > > (black) or the links (blue/purple depending on your eyes) would set
> > > them off quite well. Serif fonts at small sizes can also be pretty
> > > nasty, though this isn't an issue with the PostgreSQL docs.
> >
> > If we go with color, making them printable on a non-color printer
> > becomes a problem.
> This is not totaly true.
>
> You can have alternate stylesheets depending on the media : on colorized for
> screen, one black and white for printer. Latest releases of current browers
> (mozilla, ie6) are able to handle these tags :
>   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="2columnspg.css" media="screen"
>     title="TwoColumn">
>   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="printpg.css" media="print">
>
> Adding a title make them available for stylesheet switching in the browser
> (mozilla).
>

> --
> Guillaume
>   <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/
>        http://pgsql-fr.tuxfamily.org/ -->.

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
"Henry B. Hotz"
Date:
At 2:11 PM +0900 11/20/03, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 12:56 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>>Michael Glaesemann wrote:

>>>As Peter has pointed out, the CSS can handle a lot of it. It doesn't
>>>have to be hardcoded into the SGML-to-HTML transformation. One option
>>>would be to use colors as well (I'm not talking a rainbow of fruit
>>>flavors here :). In particular, I find italics often difficult to read
>>>on the web. I'll try to get a few styles worked up by tomorrow that
>>
>>I think it is the monospace italics that really look bad.
>
>I'd have to agree with you. Making them a color other than the text
>(black) or the links (blue/purple depending on your eyes) would set
>them off quite well. Serif fonts at small sizes can also be pretty
>nasty, though this isn't an issue with the PostgreSQL docs.

Color works well on-screen with html.  Small-point-size italics are
hard to read on-screen, agreed.

Italics work well on B&W printout with PDF.  (In general.  I'm not
looking at the specific example.)

Can you map things somehow to get the best of both worlds?

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 05:33 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> Color works well on-screen with html.  Small-point-size italics are
> hard to read on-screen, agreed.
>
> Italics work well on B&W printout with PDF.  (In general.  I'm not
> looking at the specific example.)
>
> Can you map things somehow to get the best of both worlds?

If you're talking about printing from the browser, you can have
separate style sheets with different media targets, so media="screen"
could have the color, while media="print" could have italics. It's
really flexible. At work I have a form letter that's generated on
screen, and includes all of the navigation for moving around the site.
When you print the page, the media="print" style sheet omits the
navigation, restyles the page with different fonts and sizes, and adds
the number we want to fax it to (Yes, I know. We still use fax for a
large part of our interoffice correspondence. I'm trying to move us
away from that, but it's a hard slog.)

As for the PDF docs, they're formatting is indeed different. I assume
that the SGML to PDF path is different from the SGML to HTML path
(which is of course one of the benefits of using SGML).

Is this what you mean?

Michael

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
"Henry B. Hotz"
Date:
At 7:30 PM +0900 11/28/03, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 05:33 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>>Color works well on-screen with html.  Small-point-size italics are
>>hard to read on-screen, agreed.
>>
>>Italics work well on B&W printout with PDF.  (In general.  I'm not
>>looking at the specific example.)
>>
>>Can you map things somehow to get the best of both worlds?
>
>If you're talking about printing from the browser, you can have
>separate style sheets with different media targets, so
>media="screen" could have the color, while media="print" could have
>italics. It's really flexible. At work I have a form letter that's
>generated on screen, and includes all of the navigation for moving
>around the site. When you print the page, the media="print" style
>sheet omits the navigation, restyles the page with different fonts
>and sizes, and adds the number we want to fax it to (Yes, I know. We
>still use fax for a large part of our interoffice correspondence.
>I'm trying to move us away from that, but it's a hard slog.)
>
>As for the PDF docs, they're formatting is indeed different. I
>assume that the SGML to PDF path is different from the SGML to HTML
>path (which is of course one of the benefits of using SGML).
>
>Is this what you mean?

Pretty much, yes.  I don't care much about printing html.  If I want
to print I figure I'm better off getting a PDF.

I just don't want to have to use a color printer.

Re: 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From
Randolf Richardson
Date:
[sNip]
> Pretty much, yes.  I don't care much about printing html.  If I want
> to print I figure I'm better off getting a PDF.

        I prefer to print from PDF also because the formatting is always
perfect.  Unfortunately this just hasn't been the case with any other format,
including HTML, WordPerfect (and those horrid Microsoft Word) documents, and
even plain old text files.

        At least with PDF this problem has been solved.

> I just don't want to have to use a color printer.

        When I'm reading large amounts of text on paper, black text is my
preference because so many people just pick the wrong colours (and pretty
much everyone has different tastes and expectations in this regard).

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.