DocBook V4.2

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
We have planned several times to move to a new DocBook version, but always
postponed it.  I'd like to get it done this time.

We are now beginning to run into trouble with the established toolchain
(particularly for print output), and there isn't much new development
happening, so I'd like to start trying out XML-based toolchains.  To do
that, we need to move to a DocBook version that is available as both SGML
(processed by OpenJade) and XML, which is the case for 4.x.  We can
convert SGML to XML automatically, so there are no syntax implications.

Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: DocBook V4.2

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> We are now beginning to run into trouble with the established toolchain
> (particularly for print output), and there isn't much new development
> happening, so I'd like to start trying out XML-based toolchains.  To do
> that, we need to move to a DocBook version that is available as both SGML
> (processed by OpenJade) and XML, which is the case for 4.x.  We can
> convert SGML to XML automatically, so there are no syntax implications.

I've had good luck processing XML through both toolchains, and would
find it VERY useful if there was the ability to quickly pull in
PostgreSQL content into other in-house documents via an XMLInclude
rather than a hacked checkout, file munge, etc.

I vote for having valid XML in the system itself with each file having a
valid DTD specification.

This has the added benefit of allowing an XSL transform to function on a
single document fairly easily which enables people such as Josh who
don't normally write documentation to quickly validate their changes
with nothing but a webbrowser, a very short set of instructions, and the
URL to the docbook XSLs.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

Attachment

Re: DocBook V4.2

Date:
> We have planned several times to move to a new DocBook version, but always
> postponed it.  I'd like to get it done this time.
> Comments?

What are the implications (ie, how much work will this take)?

            regards, tom lane

Re: DocBook V4.2

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
What do I need to install?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> We have planned several times to move to a new DocBook version, but always
> postponed it.  I'd like to get it done this time.
>
> We are now beginning to run into trouble with the established toolchain
> (particularly for print output), and there isn't much new development
> happening, so I'd like to start trying out XML-based toolchains.  To do
> that, we need to move to a DocBook version that is available as both SGML
> (processed by OpenJade) and XML, which is the case for 4.x.  We can
> convert SGML to XML automatically, so there are no syntax implications.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: DocBook V4.2

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Le Lundi 16 Juin 2003 14:51, vous avez écrit :
> We have planned several times to move to a new DocBook version, but always
> postponed it.  I'd like to get it done this time.
>
> We are now beginning to run into trouble with the established toolchain
> (particularly for print output), and there isn't much new development
> happening, so I'd like to start trying out XML-based toolchains.  To do
> that, we need to move to a DocBook version that is available as both SGML
> (processed by OpenJade) and XML, which is the case for 4.x.  We can
> convert SGML to XML automatically, so there are no syntax implications.
>
> Comments?
I think it would be great news. XML Docbook is much easier to "read" and
understand. For example, it is of great value to a translator. I've
translated many howtos from the LDP and some guides. SGML Docbook is a good
wey to format a document, but XML is a much better one. And it allows anyone
to apply really simple xslt stylesheets with xsltproc (or saboltron or
something else). Doing it with DSSSL stylesheets is really hard.

I'm in the process to create a french translation team and would be really
interested if all documents could be move to an XML docbook format. And I
could help you, if you need, to speed up the move.

By the way, if any french people here are interested in translating postgresql
documents (manuals, faqs and techdocs) in french, please get in touch with
me.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/ -->.

Re: DocBook V4.2

Date:
Can we still do <tag>text</> or do we need to spell out the full close
tag with </tag>?

Tom Lane writes:

> What are the implications (ie, how much work will this take)?

The work (various markup adjustments) has already been posted as a patch
by someone else many moons ago, so I assume the work will be minimal.

Users will have to install a new DocBook package, which won't be too hard
if you already have 3.1 working.

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Can we still do <tag>text</> or do we need to spell out the full close
> tag with </tag>?

We're not converting the sources to XML (in which which case you would
need to spell out the tags), only allowing for automatic conversion from
SGML to XML.

--

Date:
Rod Taylor writes:

> I vote for having valid XML in the system itself with each file having a
> valid DTD specification.

This is impossible, unless you want to give up on linking.

--

Date:
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 18:08, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Rod Taylor writes:
>
> > I vote for having valid XML in the system itself with each file having a
> > valid DTD specification.
>
> This is impossible, unless you want to give up on linking.

No, not give up on linking, but change the inclusions to be based on an
XML include format rather than ENTITY based inclusions.

Since XML includes are node based, you can include all content between
and including the top node or some sub-structure within the XML, DTDs
may be present within each file.