Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Rich Morin writes:

> At 5:38 PM -0500 2/26/02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >It is in the nature of the way we maintain and format our documentation
> >that any format can be viewed as a reformatted version of another format.
>
> So, if I'm printing the PostgreSQL "books", FAQs, and the "internals.ps"
> file, I've got things pretty well covered.

Well, the internals.ps paper was removed for a reason, so I'd advise you
not to print it.

The FAQ's are the only thing that seem to escape the unified DocBook
source for some reason.

Btw., how do you plan to format the material for printing?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From
Rich Morin
Date:
At 7:23 PM -0500 2/26/02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Well, the internals.ps paper was removed for a reason, so I'd advise
>you not to print it.

And that reason would be???  Seriously, it seems like a useful paper;
even if it isn't needed in the distribution, it may be worth printing.

>Btw., how do you plan to format the material for printing?

I turn all material into PostScript, using whichever tool( chain)s seem
appropriate.  I then run the PostScript files through a Perl script
which scales, translates, and adds descriptive footers.  Finally, I
prepend some "front matter" (e.g., TOC, Preface) and concatenate the
result into a single PostScript document, which I "distill" into PDF
and send off to the printing firm, along with the volume's cover art.

The current set of PostgreSQL volumes used the distributed PostScript
files for the 7.1 books; the upcoming set will probably start from PDF
files, converted to PostScript by Adobe Acrobat (i.e., "Print to File").
I format the ASCII FAQs using a2ps (and a bunch of options :-).

-r

P.S.  There is no entry for pgsql-docs on the "User's Lounge" web page,
       so I can't subscribe.  Also, there is a formatting error in the
       HTML for the "pgsql-sql" entry on the page:

         [archives pgsql-sql      - This is a discussion area ...
         ]
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

Date:
Rich Morin wrote:
> At 7:23 PM -0500 2/26/02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >Well, the internals.ps paper was removed for a reason, so I'd advise
> >you not to print it.
>
> And that reason would be???  Seriously, it seems like a useful paper;
> even if it isn't needed in the distribution, it may be worth printing.

I just bloated the tarball and wasn't really for general consuption.

> P.S.  There is no entry for pgsql-docs on the "User's Lounge" web page,
>        so I can't subscribe.  Also, there is a formatting error in the
>        HTML for the "pgsql-sql" entry on the page:

Docs mailing list is in the developer's lounge.

>          [archives pgsql-sql      - This is a discussion area ...
>          ]

I don't see the problem.  Looks fine here.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From
Rich Morin
Date:
At 2:40 PM -0500 3/1/02, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Rich Morin wrote:
>>  At 7:23 PM -0500 2/26/02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>  >Well, the internals.ps paper was removed for a reason, so I'd advise
>>  >you not to print it.
>>
>>  And that reason would be???  Seriously, it seems like a useful paper;
>>  even if it isn't needed in the distribution, it may be worth printing.

Peter E>It doesn't correspond to reality any longer.

Bruce M>I just bloated the tarball and wasn't really for general consuption.

It sounds like the paper should probably be left out of the next set of
PostgreSQL volumes.  Perhaps it could go into a volume of "historic" papers.

-r
--

Date:
Rich Morin wrote:
> At 2:40 PM -0500 3/1/02, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >Rich Morin wrote:
> >>  At 7:23 PM -0500 2/26/02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >>  >Well, the internals.ps paper was removed for a reason, so I'd advise
> >>  >you not to print it.
> >>
> >>  And that reason would be???  Seriously, it seems like a useful paper;
> >>  even if it isn't needed in the distribution, it may be worth printing.
>
> Peter E>It doesn't correspond to reality any longer.
>
> Bruce M>I just bloated the tarball and wasn't really for general consuption.
>
> It sounds like the paper should probably be left out of the next set of
> PostgreSQL volumes.  Perhaps it could go into a volume of "historic" papers.

There used to be a whole lot of papers at Berkeley web site.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

Date:
> There used to be a whole lot of papers at Berkeley web site.

Still are.

http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/papers/

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

Tom Lane wrote:
> > There used to be a whole lot of papers at Berkeley web site.
>
> Still are.
>
> http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/papers/

Yes, site was down for a while in the past;  wasn't sure if it was back
up.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From
Rich Morin
Tom Lane wrote:
>  Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>  > There used to be a whole lot of papers at Berkeley web site.
>
>  Still are.
>
>  http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/papers/

There is obviously no shortage of historic papers!  Would anyone here
like to see me publish one or more volumes of these papers?  I can
handle the production details, but I need a wish list of papers to
include and some help in contacting the owners of the articles.

Although USENIX is a conspicuous exception, many organizations and
institutions retain the rights to all material they publish.  Thus, it
is not necessarily the case that the author(s) can give permission for
a piece to be included in an anthology.  OTOH, if the author _wants_
the piece to be included, we have a fighting chance.

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.
http://www.ptf.com/dossier - Prime Time Freeware's DOSSIER series
http://www.ptf.com/tdc     - Prime Time Freeware's Darwin Collection

Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Rich Morin wrote:

> P.S.  There is no entry for pgsql-docs on the "User's Lounge" web page,
>        so I can't subscribe.  Also, there is a formatting error in the
>        HTML for the "pgsql-sql" entry on the page:

It's a developer's list.  Go to the developer's website and subscribe.

Vince.