DocBook upgrade

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Briefly after we open the floodgates for 7.2+1 I would like to upgrade our
documentation sources to use DocBook 4.1.  There are three reasons for it:

- Some better markup for cases that currently look really ugly.

- The available stylesheets tend to not handle 3.1 correctly in some
  cases.

- We can start exploring XML/XSL-based toolchains.  DocBook XML doesn't
  exist for versions prior to 4.0.

The change will effectively amount to changing the version number at the
very top of the top-level files (book-decl.sgml and postgres.sgml), and
possibly fixing some markup that has been deprecated.

At that time, your processing tools will start complaining that they can't
resolve the public identifier for "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" or some
such.  Basically, what you need to do is install the V4.1 DTD in the same
way that 3.1 was installed.  Instructions for this are contained in our
documentation.  I'll be happy to assist if you can't get it to work.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: DocBook upgrade

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Briefly after we open the floodgates for 7.2+1 I would like to upgrade our
> documentation sources to use DocBook 4.1.  There are three reasons for it:

Great! Do you have an opinion on the rest of the toolchain and
possibilities for XML? afaict SGML/DSSSL is still smoother than XML (and
quite possibly more capable), but I haven't tried the XML tools yet...

                   - Thomas

Re: DocBook upgrade

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Let me know what you need me to install ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Briefly after we open the floodgates for 7.2+1 I would like to upgrade our
> documentation sources to use DocBook 4.1.  There are three reasons for it:
>
> - Some better markup for cases that currently look really ugly.
>
> - The available stylesheets tend to not handle 3.1 correctly in some
>   cases.
>
> - We can start exploring XML/XSL-based toolchains.  DocBook XML doesn't
>   exist for versions prior to 4.0.
>
> The change will effectively amount to changing the version number at the
> very top of the top-level files (book-decl.sgml and postgres.sgml), and
> possibly fixing some markup that has been deprecated.
>
> At that time, your processing tools will start complaining that they can't
> resolve the public identifier for "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" or some
> such.  Basically, what you need to do is install the V4.1 DTD in the same
> way that 3.1 was installed.  Instructions for this are contained in our
> documentation.  I'll be happy to assist if you can't get it to work.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: DocBook upgrade

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 03:51:31AM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Great! Do you have an opinion on the rest of the toolchain and
> possibilities for XML? afaict SGML/DSSSL is still smoother than XML (and
> quite possibly more capable), but I haven't tried the XML tools yet...

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with XML. So far I've only
had trouble working with Docbook XML.

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
  Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net/

Re: DocBook upgrade

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Great! Do you have an opinion on the rest of the toolchain and
> possibilities for XML? afaict SGML/DSSSL is still smoother than XML (and
> quite possibly more capable), but I haven't tried the XML tools yet...

The XSL toolchains aren't really any good yet, to be blunt, but as long as
they're still under development we can have a say and part in where the
development goes, but the only way to do that is actually using them.

--

I once wrote:

> Briefly after we open the floodgates for 7.2+1 I would like to upgrade our
> documentation sources to use DocBook 4.1.

Just so you know what the status on this is:

As it turns out, DocBook 4.1 (and 4.0)  has some overly restrictive
changes to the content model of some elements (read: "what tags can I put
in what other tags"), and the PostgreSQL documentation is affected by some
of these cases.  Part of these changes will be reverted in the DocBook 4.2
release, which went beta the other day and will be released in a month.
Add to that some time to wait for packages to appear and some general
gratuitous hestitation, we might be at least 6 to 8 weeks away from this
move; maybe it won't even be in this cycle.

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I once wrote:
>
> > Briefly after we open the floodgates for 7.2+1 I would like to upgrade our
> > documentation sources to use DocBook 4.1.
>
> Just so you know what the status on this is:
>
> As it turns out, DocBook 4.1 (and 4.0)  has some overly restrictive
> changes to the content model of some elements (read: "what tags can I put
> in what other tags"), and the PostgreSQL documentation is affected by some
> of these cases.  Part of these changes will be reverted in the DocBook 4.2
> release, which went beta the other day and will be released in a month.
> Add to that some time to wait for packages to appear and some general
> gratuitous hestitation, we might be at least 6 to 8 weeks away from this
> move; maybe it won't even be in this cycle.

From your description, I was thinking 6-8 months.