interactive docs

From
Elein

As a wiki fan, I'm sorry to say I hate the interactive pages.
They are yet another forum for people who should be asking
questions in the mailing lists.  They are very distracting.
If there were a genuine doc note in that mess, I would never
see it.

If you were to create a question/answer wiki it would probably
help a lot of people and ideally people would only really put doc
notes and examples on the interactive doc pages.

elein

--
Elein
elein@nextbus.com

Re: interactive docs

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Elein wrote:

> As a wiki fan, I'm sorry to say I hate the interactive pages.
> They are yet another forum for people who should be asking
> questions in the mailing lists.  They are very distracting.
> If there were a genuine doc note in that mess, I would never
> see it.

The only reason it's not cleaned out is because when the release
finally occurs, the docnotes will be zeroed out since the important
stuff will already be in the docs.

BTW, there are other forms of documentation than the interactive.
Feel free to explore.

Vince.

Re: interactive docs

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:22:40PM -0800, Elein wrote:

> As a wiki fan, I'm sorry to say I hate the interactive pages.
> They are yet another forum for people who should be asking
> questions in the mailing lists.  They are very distracting.
> If there were a genuine doc note in that mess, I would never
> see it.

Are you volunteering to moderate doc notes? That would mean you'd have to
scan them once in a while and remove questions, directing questioners to
the lists.

> If you were to create a question/answer wiki it would probably
> help a lot of people and ideally people would only really put doc
> notes and examples on the interactive doc pages.

That's what mailing lists are for. Wikis have good uses, but so do mailing
lists.

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
  Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net/

Re: interactive docs

From
Elein
Date:
Roberto Mello wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:22:40PM -0800, Elein wrote:
>
>>As a wiki fan, I'm sorry to say I hate the interactive pages.
>>They are yet another forum for people who should be asking
>>questions in the mailing lists.  They are very distracting.
>>If there were a genuine doc note in that mess, I would never
>>see it.
>>

> Are you volunteering to moderate doc notes? That would mean you'd have to
> scan them once in a while and remove questions, directing questioners to
> the lists.
>

>>If you were to create a question/answer wiki it would probably
>>help a lot of people and ideally people would only really put doc
>>notes and examples on the interactive doc pages.
>>

> That's what mailing lists are for. Wikis have good uses, but so do mailing
> lists.
>
> -Roberto

If I were not the only moderator, I certainly could help.
Tell me how to do it and I'll try to be nice :-) and be
as attentive as my work allows.

While you all are listening, I also have an organization
suggestion.  List the functions that operate on a data
type with the data type.  Just a returns,function(args)
list would probably do.  I rarely look up a data type without
jumping over to functions.  A list of the functions
gives people a better idea of the uses and limitations
of a given datatype.  (I understand this suggestion is
probably too late to be useful to 7.2 docs)

cheers,
elein

elein@nextbus.com
(510)420-3120