VACUUM not mentioned in administrator's guide!?

Date:
I was bemused to discover just now that nowhere in the Administrator's
Guide is there any discussion of VACUUM and the need for it to be run
routinely.  No wonder people don't do it :-(

Seems like we need a chapter about "routine maintenance tasks".

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM not mentioned in administrator's guide!?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Seems like we need a chapter about "routine maintenance tasks".

Right.  What are the routine maintenance tasks?

* Vacuum

* Log rotation

Seems like it's "low maintenance".  ;-)

Re: VACUUM not mentioned in administrator's guide!?

Date:
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Seems like we need a chapter about "routine maintenance tasks".

> Right.  What are the routine maintenance tasks?
> * Vacuum
> * Log rotation
> Seems like it's "low maintenance".  ;-)

I didn't say it needed to be a long chapter ;-).  But I think we need
one.

Date:
> I was bemused to discover just now that nowhere in the Administrator's
> Guide is there any discussion of VACUUM and the need for it to be run
> routinely.  No wonder people don't do it :-(
>
> Seems like we need a chapter about "routine maintenance tasks".

Added to TODO:

    * Add mention of VACUUM, log rotation to Administrator's Guide

RE: VACUUM not mentioned in administrator's guide!?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
I also notice that ALTER TABLE xxx ADD CONSTRAINT xxx CHECK (...) is not
documented in the ALTER TABLE section of the docs.  I only realised it was
possible to add CHECK constraints after table creation because I noticed it
in the source code!

Chris