Developer vs. Programmer

Date:
Right now we have a Developer's Guide (for internal db development) and
a Programmer's Guide (for interfaces).  We also have a Developer's
Corner on our web site.

Is there a clearer way to distinguish Programmer from DB internals
Developer.  I always get them confused.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Right now we have a Developer's Guide (for internal db development) and
> a Programmer's Guide (for interfaces).  We also have a Developer's
> Corner on our web site.
>
> Is there a clearer way to distinguish Programmer from DB internals
> Developer.  I always get them confused.

Since the "Developer's Guide" is something that didn't exist in the
docs before 7.1, I'd say that if anything a new name for it would be
needed.  But I have no suggestions.

Vince.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> >
> > > Since the "Developer's Guide" is something that didn't exist in the
> > > docs before 7.1, I'd say that if anything a new name for it would be
> > > needed.  But I have no suggestions.
> >
> > What?  It was there before:
> > http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/postgres/part-developer.htm
> >
> > I agree that "developer's guide" vs "programmer's guide" is a rather
> > unclear distinction ... no immediate ideas for better names though.
>
> OK, so people agree we need a better name but can't come up with one.
> How about Internals Developer, so it would be the Internals Developers
> Corner and the Internals Developer Manual.

ick.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Is there a clearer way to distinguish Programmer from DB internals
> >> Developer.  I always get them confused.
>
> > Since the "Developer's Guide" is something that didn't exist in the
> > docs before 7.1, I'd say that if anything a new name for it would be
> > needed.  But I have no suggestions.
>
> What?  It was there before:
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/postgres/part-developer.htm
>
> I agree that "developer's guide" vs "programmer's guide" is a rather
> unclear distinction ... no immediate ideas for better names though.

Let me clarify, there was no major section entitled "Developer's Guide"
like there is now.

Vince.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

Date:

Date:
> > OK, so people agree we need a better name but can't come up with one.
> > How about Internals Developer, so it would be the Internals Developers
> > Corner and the Internals Developer Manual.
> >

> ick.

Yea, I had the same feeling.  Can't someone come up with a nice name?

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Roberto Mello
Date:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:06:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > ick.
>
> Yea, I had the same feeling.  Can't someone come up with a nice name?

    How about Hacker's Guide? :)

    -Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
  Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

Date:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:06:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > ick.
> >
> > Yea, I had the same feeling.  Can't someone come up with a nice name?
>
>     How about Hacker's Guide? :)

Yea, I liked that one.  I don't think Vince wants to change developers
corner.  Maybe we can come back to this later.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yea, I had the same feeling.  Can't someone come up with a nice name?
> >
> >     How about Hacker's Guide? :)
>
> Yea, I liked that one.  I don't think Vince wants to change developers
> corner.  Maybe we can come back to this later.

Hacker's Guide sounds good.  Hacker's Corner sounds bad.  There's no
reason at all that this guide can't be called the Hacker's Guide and
for it to reside in the Developer's Corner.  I'm going to be doing some
redesign and face lifting in the not too distant future and hope the
end result to be the Developer's Corner to be obviously for developers
of PostgreSQL and not software developers *using* or developing products
that use PostgreSQL.

Vince.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

Date:
> Hacker's Guide sounds good.  Hacker's Corner sounds bad.  There's no
> reason at all that this guide can't be called the Hacker's Guide and
> for it to reside in the Developer's Corner.  I'm going to be doing some
> redesign and face lifting in the not too distant future and hope the
> end result to be the Developer's Corner to be obviously for developers
> of PostgreSQL and not software developers *using* or developing products
> that use PostgreSQL.

Great.  Thanks.  I realized I was getting the two confused, so I thought
others might as well.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

Date:

> > >     How about Hacker's Guide? :)
> >
> > Yea, I liked that one.  I don't think Vince wants to change developers
> > corner.  Maybe we can come back to this later.
>
> Hacker's Guide sounds good.  Hacker's Corner sounds bad.  There's no

How about Hackers Lair?  Catchy?

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Richard Poole wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 05:32:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > Hacker's Guide sounds good.  Hacker's Corner sounds bad.  There's no
> >
> > How about Hackers Lair?  Catchy?
>
> Any chance we could get the apostrophes right, whichever we go for?
> If it's the Guide, or Corner, or Lair, of more than one Hacker,
> then it's the "Hackers' Guide", or whatever.

I like to be creative in that respect, so it'll depend on my mood
at the time.

Vince.

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:

> > > Yea, I liked that one.  I don't think Vince wants to change developers
> > > corner.  Maybe we can come back to this later.
> >
> > Hacker's Guide sounds good.  Hacker's Corner sounds bad.  There's no
>
> How about Hackers Lair?  Catchy?

Interesting......

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Richard Poole
Date:
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 05:32:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Hacker's Guide sounds good.  Hacker's Corner sounds bad.  There's no
>
> How about Hackers Lair?  Catchy?

Any chance we could get the apostrophes right, whichever we go for?
If it's the Guide, or Corner, or Lair, of more than one Hacker,
then it's the "Hackers' Guide", or whatever.

Richard

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Wizards guide?

:-)

+ Justin

Roberto Mello wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:06:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > ick.
> >
> > Yea, I had the same feeling.  Can't someone come up with a nice name?
>
>         How about Hacker's Guide? :)
>
>         -Roberto
> --
> +----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
>   Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net
>        http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer
> People say I'm indecisive.  Am I?  I don't know.

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Developer vs. Programmer

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Roberto Mello writes:

>     How about Hacker's Guide? :)

Sorry, but the philological battle for "hacker" is lost.  It was nice
while it lasted but the last thing we should do is name a book after it.
;-)

More importantly, however, "hacker" (in the preferred meaning) does not
achieve the desired semantic distinction either, since in a way developer
== programmer == hacker.