404 Error on Documentation Page

From
Steve McAtee
Date:
I was doing a search for "connections" in postgresql.org.  The search page
directed me to this link:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/x6686.htm

Which informed me of a 404 and to email you.

Steve McAtee
President
ProDEV, llc
636-677-4533
Fax: (509) 471-9659
When Opportunity Meets Preparation

Re: 404 Error on Documentation Page

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Steve McAtee writes:

> I was doing a search for "connections" in postgresql.org.  The search page
> directed me to this link:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/x6686.htm
>
> Which informed me of a 404 and to email you.

These 404 mails are certainly making me more empathetic for Vince, but
what the heck are we supposed to do about it?  The vast majority of these
should be forwarded to search-engine-operator@postgresql.org.

Re: 404 Error on Documentation Page

Date:
> Steve McAtee writes:
>
> > I was doing a search for "connections" in postgresql.org.  The search page
> > directed me to this link:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/x6686.htm
> >
> > Which informed me of a 404 and to email you.
>
> These 404 mails are certainly making me more empathetic for Vince, but
> what the heck are we supposed to do about it?  The vast majority of these
> should be forwarded to search-engine-operator@postgresql.org.

I fixed the backend flowchart error (use of relative link), but am
unsure about the others.  I think this is someone complaining because we
removed the documentation from /docs.  Remember that person who was
looking at the old documentation stuck in /docs a while back?  I bet
this is someone's bookmark or old mirror.

Do we have old indexes still pointing to the docs we removed?  Maybe.

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > Steve McAtee writes:
> >
> > > I was doing a search for "connections" in postgresql.org.  The search page
                                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:

>                                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, this is what made me think our search indexes are pointing to stuff
we moved out of docs weeks ago.  Who handles that stuff?

Re: 404 Error on Documentation Page

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Steve McAtee writes:
> >
> > > I was doing a search for "connections" in postgresql.org.  The search page
> > > directed me to this link:
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/x6686.htm
> > >
> > > Which informed me of a 404 and to email you.
> >
> > These 404 mails are certainly making me more empathetic for Vince, but
> > what the heck are we supposed to do about it?  The vast majority of these
> > should be forwarded to search-engine-operator@postgresql.org.

At least now everyone can see how seemingly innocent changes can cause
some real problems.  :)

> I fixed the backend flowchart error (use of relative link), but am
> unsure about the others.  I think this is someone complaining because we
> removed the documentation from /docs.  Remember that person who was
> looking at the old documentation stuck in /docs a while back?  I bet
> this is someone's bookmark or old mirror.

Remember Tom Lane said he removed the number type filenames from the docs.
Many of the things that disappeared when /docs went away I fixed with
links into 7.0's docs, but there are no number type filenames anywhere
in any of the docsets.

> Do we have old indexes still pointing to the docs we removed?  Maybe.

see above.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Date:
Vince Vielhaber writes:

> Remember Tom Lane said he removed the number type filenames from the docs.
> Many of the things that disappeared when /docs went away I fixed with
> links into 7.0's docs, but there are no number type filenames anywhere
> in any of the docsets.

That was me and it was in the 7.1 docs.  The 7.0 docs still have the
numbered file names.  Positively nothing changed in the 7.0 docs since it
was released that could have affected file names or other types of links.
The bulk of the messages that we received in the last few days were people
looking for files in /docs (as opposed to /users-lounge/docs)  and they
got there through the search engine.  That simply means the search engine
needs to be updated.

Date:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>
> > Remember Tom Lane said he removed the number type filenames from the docs.
> > Many of the things that disappeared when /docs went away I fixed with
> > links into 7.0's docs, but there are no number type filenames anywhere
> > in any of the docsets.
>
> That was me and it was in the 7.1 docs.  The 7.0 docs still have the
> numbered file names.  Positively nothing changed in the 7.0 docs since it
> was released that could have affected file names or other types of links.
> The bulk of the messages that we received in the last few days were people
> looking for files in /docs (as opposed to /users-lounge/docs)  and they
> got there through the search engine.  That simply means the search engine
> needs to be updated.

The reason I pointed it at the users lounge docs is because of the date
of the docs that *used* to be in /docs were somewhere in July or August.
They were alot closer to the 7.0 stuff than 7.1 since the 7.0 docs were
from May.