Changing the HTML file extension

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Since I'm writing a custom stylesheet for the docs anyway, we could change
the extension of the HTML files from .htm to .html.  This will probably
break a lot of bookmarks, so I thought I'd ask.  OTOH, "deep" bookmarks
into the current docs may become obsolete for a variety of other reasons
anyway.

Re: Changing the HTML file extension

Date:
Agreed.   *.htm is an old DOS-ism.

> Since I'm writing a custom stylesheet for the docs anyway, we could change
> the extension of the HTML files from .htm to .html.  This will probably
> break a lot of bookmarks, so I thought I'd ask.  OTOH, "deep" bookmarks
> into the current docs may become obsolete for a variety of other reasons
> anyway.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

Re: Changing the HTML file extension

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Since I'm writing a custom stylesheet for the docs anyway, we could change
> the extension of the HTML files from .htm to .html.  This will probably
> break a lot of bookmarks, so I thought I'd ask.  OTOH, "deep" bookmarks
> into the current docs may become obsolete for a variety of other reasons
> anyway.

Any name changes will affect:

1) FAQ pointers into the docs
2) Web page pointers into the docs
3) Bookmarks
4) Search engine tables

If this is done, the search tables will need to be flushed of old links.
Marc was trying to do it the other day but I don't know how successful
he was on clearing out /docs.  /devel-corner/docs will also have to be
done if he was successful.  From a conversation I had with Peter yesterday
I agree that it's probably a bad idea to even allow /devel-corner/docs
into the search engine's tables - besides the fact that they change alot
between versions and old ones don't seem to flush.

FAQ pointers should also never point inside development docs (or any
docs for all that matter if they stand a chance of changing at all).

Bookmarks.  Many users will bookmark parts of the docs.  While it's not
a good idea to bookmark development docs it's still done.  I don't think
there's alot we can do about that.

Web pages that point inside the docs.  We have some web pages that have
been done and are maintained by folks other than me.  Those folks will
need to make sure none of theirs point inside the devel docs.  The home
page points to the devel docs index - I can repoint things when necessary
but that probably won't happen till sometime mid next week.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Changing the HTML file extension

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
All good points ... is there a *valid* reason why we'd switch from .htm to
.html?  Like is .htm breaking anything?  if not, it should be left as is

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Since I'm writing a custom stylesheet for the docs anyway, we could change
> > the extension of the HTML files from .htm to .html.  This will probably
> > break a lot of bookmarks, so I thought I'd ask.  OTOH, "deep" bookmarks
> > into the current docs may become obsolete for a variety of other reasons
> > anyway.
>
> Any name changes will affect:
>
> 1) FAQ pointers into the docs
> 2) Web page pointers into the docs
> 3) Bookmarks
> 4) Search engine tables
>
> If this is done, the search tables will need to be flushed of old links.
> Marc was trying to do it the other day but I don't know how successful
> he was on clearing out /docs.  /devel-corner/docs will also have to be
> done if he was successful.  From a conversation I had with Peter yesterday
> I agree that it's probably a bad idea to even allow /devel-corner/docs
> into the search engine's tables - besides the fact that they change alot
> between versions and old ones don't seem to flush.
>
> FAQ pointers should also never point inside development docs (or any
> docs for all that matter if they stand a chance of changing at all).
>
> Bookmarks.  Many users will bookmark parts of the docs.  While it's not
> a good idea to bookmark development docs it's still done.  I don't think
> there's alot we can do about that.
>
> Web pages that point inside the docs.  We have some web pages that have
> been done and are maintained by folks other than me.  Those folks will
> need to make sure none of theirs point inside the devel docs.  The home
> page points to the devel docs index - I can repoint things when necessary
> but that probably won't happen till sometime mid next week.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Changing the HTML file extension

Date:
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> [ a long list of places that might have links to documentation pages ]

I think this discussion is largely pointless.  We have already made a
substantial number of changes in the filenames of various doc pages
since 7.0 (for instance, there aren't numbers in most of 'em anymore),
and I didn't hear anyone objecting.  Asking that bookmarks not break is
a little late at this point.

I'm for changing to .html, FWIW.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > [ a long list of places that might have links to documentation pages ]
>
> I think this discussion is largely pointless.  We have already made a
> substantial number of changes in the filenames of various doc pages
> since 7.0 (for instance, there aren't numbers in most of 'em anymore),
> and I didn't hear anyone objecting.  Asking that bookmarks not break is
> a little late at this point.

I agreed about the bookmarks but as to the files changing and noone
objecting, I wish I knew you were responsible BEFORE I answered all
the messages about missing links in the FAQs that pointed to number
type filenames, I could have simply forwarded them to you and saved
alot of time.  I think I will change the 404 page tho to tell folks
to send a note to the docs list if it's doc related.  If something
breaks everyone will know about it alot sooner.

Date:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > [ a long list of places that might have links to documentation pages ]
>
> I think this discussion is largely pointless.  We have already made a
> substantial number of changes in the filenames of various doc pages
> since 7.0 (for instance, there aren't numbers in most of 'em anymore),
> and I didn't hear anyone objecting.  Asking that bookmarks not break is
> a little late at this point.

Damn, I hate it when someone comes up with even better points *sigh*

I'm for changing also ...

Date:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > > [ a long list of places that might have links to documentation pages ]
> >
> > I think this discussion is largely pointless.  We have already made a
> > substantial number of changes in the filenames of various doc pages
> > since 7.0 (for instance, there aren't numbers in most of 'em anymore),
> > and I didn't hear anyone objecting.  Asking that bookmarks not break is
> > a little late at this point.
>
> I agreed about the bookmarks but as to the files changing and noone
> objecting, I wish I knew you were responsible BEFORE I answered all
> the messages about missing links in the FAQs that pointed to number
> type filenames, I could have simply forwarded them to you and saved
> alot of time.  I think I will change the 404 page tho to tell folks
> to send a note to the docs list if it's doc related.  If something
> breaks everyone will know about it alot sooner.

sounds perfectly reasonable to me ... you are on that list too, right?  so
it would hit aall pertinent ppl ...