Generating HISTORY file

Date:
Peter, I thought I saw a recent CVS commit from you stating that you now
can generate the HISTORY file from the SGML source.  Have you tested it?
Is it being done automatically?

Also, I would like to get the release dates into the HISTORY file.  Do
you know an easy way to do that?

Re: Generating HISTORY file

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Peter, I thought I saw a recent CVS commit from you stating that you now
> can generate the HISTORY file from the SGML source.  Have you tested it?

Yes.

> Is it being done automatically?

No.

It's basically a semi-simplified way of creating an HTML page with the
release notes and saving it with Netscape.  It was more or less a
by-product of automating the INSTALL build.  It's still nothing to get
excited about as you would still have to manually polish the resulting
text file in some ways.

If you want to try it out run gmake HISTORY in doc/src/sgml.  I've also
tried lynx and w3m for HTML to text conversions but their results where
inferior in several ways.

> Also, I would like to get the release dates into the HISTORY file.  Do
> you know an easy way to do that?

I can't think of anything more particular than just writing it in there
somewhere.

Re: Re: Generating HISTORY file

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Peter, I thought I saw a recent CVS commit from you stating that you now
> > can generate the HISTORY file from the SGML source.  Have you tested it?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Is it being done automatically?
>
> No.
>
> It's basically a semi-simplified way of creating an HTML page with the
> release notes and saving it with Netscape.  It was more or less a
> by-product of automating the INSTALL build.  It's still nothing to get
> excited about as you would still have to manually polish the resulting
> text file in some ways.
>
> If you want to try it out run gmake HISTORY in doc/src/sgml.  I've also
> tried lynx and w3m for HTML to text conversions but their results where
> inferior in several ways.

OK, same old way I did it long ago.

> > Also, I would like to get the release dates into the HISTORY file.  Do
> > you know an easy way to do that?
>
> I can't think of anything more particular than just writing it in there
> somewhere.

I have it in the SGML.  I just need it transfered into the HISTORY file.

Re: Re: Generating HISTORY file

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > I can't think of anything more particular than just writing it in there
> > somewhere.
> I have it in the SGML.  I just need it transfered into the HISTORY file.

You might recall Bruce that I've done this with Applixware for the last
several releases...

                      - Thomas

Re: Re: Generating HISTORY file

Date:
> > > I can't think of anything more particular than just writing it in there
> > > somewhere.
> > I have it in the SGML.  I just need it transfered into the HISTORY file.
>
> You might recall Bruce that I've done this with Applixware for the last
> several releases...

So you regenerate the HISTORY file using Applixware.  I thought it
looked poor, and I had to re-do it, or am I remembering something else.

Re: Re: Generating HISTORY file

Date:
> > So you regenerate the HISTORY file using Applixware.  I thought it
> > looked poor, and I had to re-do it, or am I remembering something else.
>
> *shrug*

I just looked at the CVS logs and I think you fixed Applix to look
better.  Please update HISTORY as part of your documentation changes.
Thanks.  I added release dates to release.sgml, so it should have the
dates when you are done.

Date: