Re: [ADMIN] user auth & passwords

Date:
Thomas, is this already in the docs?

> [...]
>
> If connecting with psql, use the -u option; the user is prompted for username
> and password.  If you don't use -u, the connection fails.
>
> If using your own program with libpq, it is up to you to collect the user name
> and password from the user and send them to the backend with PQsetdbLogin().
> [How can one know, with libpq, whether this is necessary?]
>
> Passwords are stored in pg_shadow in clear, but if `crypt' authentication is
> specified, the frontend encrypts the password with a random salt and
> the backend uses the same salt to encrypt the password in the database.
> If the two encrypted passwords match, the user is allowed access. If the
> authentication method is `password', the password is transmitted and
> compared in clear.
>
> If passwords are turned on, it becomes impossible to connect as
> a user, if no password is defined for that user.  Neither can you use
> \connect to change user within psql.
>
> <Debian-specific>
> If you turn on passwords for local, the default do.maintenance cron job
> will stop working, because it will not supply a username or password.
> In this case, you must alter /etc/cron.d/postgresql to supply the
> user and password for the postgres superuser, with the -u and -p options.
> It will then be necessary to change the permissions on /etc/cron.d/postgresql
> to make it readable by root only.
> </Debian-specific>
>

> Problems with password authentication
> =====================================
>
> 1. There is no easy and secure way to automate access when passwords are
>    in use.  It would be good if the postgres super-user (as identified by
>    Unix on a Unix sockets connection) could bypass the authentication.
>
> 2. pgaccess has no mechanism for specifying username and password. It cannot
>    be used if password/crypt authentication is turned on for host
>    connections from localhost.
>
> 3. In general, passwords are insecure, because they are held in clear
>    in pg_shadow.  Anyone with create-user privilege can not only alter but
>    also read them.  They ought to be stored with one-way encryption, as
>    with the Unix password system.
>
> 4. The postgres super-user's password can be changed by anyone with
>    create-user privilege.  It ought to be the case that people can
>    only change their own passwords and that only the super-user can change
>    other peoples' passwords.
>
> 5. If passwords are turned on, the -u option must be supplied to psql. If
>    it is not, psql merely says "Connection to database 'xxxx' failed.".  A
>    more helpful error message would be desirable.

> Oliver Elphick                                Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
> Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
>                PGP key from public servers; key ID 32B8FAA1
>                  ========================================
>      "But without faith it is impossible to please him; for
>       he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and
>       that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [ADMIN] user auth & passwords

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Thomas, is this already in the docs?
> > Jason Dillon wrote:
> > >For the life of me I can not find any substancial documentation on
> > >how to give users passwords...

Not that I know of. There is a chapter on security (security.sgml)
which would be a good place for it. Oliver, do you know anyone who
would be willing to merge this in?
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [ADMIN] user auth & passwords

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote: >> Thomas, is this already in the docs? >> > Jason Dillon wrote: >> > >For the life of me I can
notfind any substancial documentation on  >> > >how to give users passwords... > >Not that I know of. There is a
chapteron security (security.sgml) >which would be a good place for it. Oliver, do you know anyone who >would be
willingto merge this in?

I'll take a look

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the      dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints
 and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and      intents of the heart."        Hebrews 4:12