Trouble Installing postgresql 8.0.3

From
JUAN ERNESTO FLORES BELTRAN
Date:
Hi,

I have been trying to install posgre in my PC (Win2000), but it has
been not posible to succeed in the attempt. The installation initiates
as expected, then the system request for "Installation Options", i
select all because of i desire to configure the system as a server.

Finally the wizzard request for the following: Service Name, Account
Name, Acount Domain, Account Password and Verify Password. Service
Name and Account Domain are default values selected by the system, so
i just configure the rest. Once i enter the requested information the
system delivers a message like this:

Account error:
"Invalid User Name specified: Error de inicio de sesión: nombre de
usuario desconocido o contraseña incorrecta"

I have tried different passwords and user names several times but it
still does not work. What should i do?.

Thanks for your answers in advance.-

Re: Trouble Installing postgresql 8.0.3

From
William Makowski
> From: JUAN ERNESTO FLORES BELTRAN
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install posgre in my PC (Win2000), but it has
> been not posible to succeed in the attempt. The installation initiates
> as expected, then the system request for "Installation Options", i
> select all because of i desire to configure the system as a server.
>
> Finally the wizzard request for the following: Service Name, Account
> Name, Acount Domain, Account Password and Verify Password. Service
> Name and Account Domain are default values selected by the system, so
> i just configure the rest. Once i enter the requested information the
> system delivers a message like this:
>
> Account error:
> "Invalid User Name specified: Error de inicio de sesión: nombre de
> usuario desconocido o contraseña incorrecta"
>
> I have tried different passwords and user names several times but it
> still does not work. What should i do?.
>
> Thanks for your answers in advance.

It sounds like you are using the installer method to
install PostgreSQL.  Based on the FAQ you need to set
up a service type account and provide the user name
and password during installation.  I would suggest
creating an account called postgres with a password
you know and provide that at startup.  Then use that
account to run initdb, pg_ctl, createdb, and psql.

Once you know you can access the database with that
user you should be able to set things up for your
regular user id.

Bill