initdb and postgresql 8

From
Marek Lewczuk
Date:
I'm trying to initialize postgresql 8.0 but initdb produce below errors:
$ initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "ml".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
could no
t create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1171456, 03600).
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"
[1]+  Done                    ipc-daemon2

Is 8.0 version working on Cygwin ? Thanks for any help.

ML

Re: initdb and postgresql 8

From
"Leeuw van der, Tim"
Date:
Hiya,

I think you should configure cygserver (don't forget to add the env. var. CYGWIN containing the word 'server').

ipc-daemon is no longer used.

regards,

--Tim

[...]

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: initdb and postgresql 8

From
Marek Lewczuk
Date:
Leeuw van der, Tim wrote:
> Hiya,
Hello,
thanks for reply.

> I think you should configure cygserver (don't forget to add the env. var. CYGWIN containing the word 'server').
I did that but the problem is still there.

> ipc-daemon is no longer used.
I know that and I'm not using it.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Re: initdb and postgresql 8

From
Reini Urban
Date:
Leeuw van der, Tim schrieb:
> I think you should configure cygserver (don't forget to add the env. var. CYGWIN containing the word 'server').
>
> ipc-daemon is no longer used.

You also have the problem, that you obviosuly didn't remove libipc.a
from your system, so configure took this old deprecated library (with
unsupported API calls) and you have no chance to use the new cygserver
services.

BTW: There's an experimental postgresql-8.0.0cvs package in cygwin
setup.exe now. you might want to try that instead.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

Re: initdb and postgresql 8

From
Marek Lewczuk
Date:
Reini Urban wrote:
> Leeuw van der, Tim schrieb:
>
>> I think you should configure cygserver (don't forget to add the env.
>> var. CYGWIN containing the word 'server').
>>
>> ipc-daemon is no longer used.
>

> You also have the problem, that you obviosuly didn't remove libipc.a
> from your system, so configure took this old deprecated library (with
> unsupported API calls) and you have no chance to use the new cygserver
> services.
>
> BTW: There's an experimental postgresql-8.0.0cvs package in cygwin
> setup.exe now. you might want to try that instead.
Ok. After installing 8.0.0cvs version from cygwin's packages innitdb
returns other errors:

$ initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "ml".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
10
selecting default shared_buffers ... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... Signal 12
child process exited with exit code 140
initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"

?

Re: initdb and postgresql 8

From
"Leeuw van der, Tim"
Date:
Hi Marek,

In the output you gave I saw 'ipc-daemon2' that's why I assumed you were using it instead of cygserver...

cheers,

--Tim

Date:
Marek Lewczuk schrieb:
> Ok. After installing 8.0.0cvs version from cygwin's packages innitdb
> returns other errors:
>
> $ initdb
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "ml".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> 10
> selecting default shared_buffers ... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> 50
> creating configuration files ... ok

everything okay so far.

> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... Signal 12
> child process exited with exit code 140

aha.

> initdb: failed
> initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"

$ net helpmsg 140

Das System hat versucht, einem Verzeichnis, das sich auf einem mit SUBST
zugeordneten Laufwerk befindet, ein Laufwerk mit JOIN zuzuordnen.

(this is my german message)
did you try this on a subst'ed drive?
is cygwin root a subst'ed drive?

if not, please post the output of "cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out"
as text attachement as described in http://cygwin.com/problems.html