All Production releases of PostgreSQL hung because of bugs in cygserver

From
"Jean-Pierre Pelletier"
Date:
There is currently no production release of PostgreSQL that runs more than 5 concurrent sessions
in Windows because the releases available for Cygwin, 7.4.3 to 7.4.5 are built with Cygserver
which has a bug that have PostgreSQL hung with more than 5 concurrent connections.

I am planning to revert to PostgreSQL 7.1 which is the latest cygwin package built with cygipc
(instead of cygserver).

It would be nice to have the latest releases of PostgreSQL rebuilt with cygipc and available
as cygwin packages.

Thanks
Jean-Pierre Pelletier

Re: All Production releases of PostgreSQL hung because of bugs in cygserver

From
Patrick Samson
Date:
FYI, I made and I run a 7.3.5 version
with Cygserver (and Tcl) on NT4 & W2K.
I don't have any trouble with the number of sessions.
I can see up to ten postgres.exe in task manager.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: All Production releases of PostgreSQL hung because of

From
Reini Urban
Date:
Jean-Pierre Pelletier schrieb:
> There is currently no production release of PostgreSQL that runs more
> than 5 concurrent sessions
> in Windows because the releases available for Cygwin, 7.4.3 to 7.4.5 are
> built with Cygserver
> which has a bug that have PostgreSQL hung with more than 5 concurrent
> connections.

Hmm, that would explain the crash at the parallel_schedule regression
suite. ipcs showed 5 semaphores, and one shm, when postmaster crashed.
serial tests do work fine. max_connections=100 also works fine.

Do you have any link where this is discussed/analyzed?

> I am planning to ;revert to PostgreSQL 7.1 which is the latest cygwin
> package built with cygipc (instead of cygserver).
>  ;
> It would be nice to have the latest releases of PostgreSQL rebuilt with
> cygipc and available as cygwin packages.

No problem.
If it's really a buggy cygserver I'll do a interim cygipc version.
I already had one, but it clashed with cygserver.

But I really want to try to debug cygserver then.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

Re: All Production releases of PostgreSQL hung because of

From
"J. Hondius"
Date:
Hi.

I have postgreSQL version 7.2.1 /w cygwin running fine with more than 5
concurrent connections.
Normal 7.2.1 distro. Tested up to 12.

BTW: postgresql-cygwin cannot handle more than 62 concurrent client
connections due to a limitation in windows,
no matter what postgresql.conf says.

Greetings, Joek

> There is currently no production release of PostgreSQL that runs more
> than 5 concurrent sessions
> in Windows because the releases available for Cygwin, 7.4.3 to 7.4.5 are
> built with Cygserver
> which has a bug that have PostgreSQL hung with more than 5 concurrent
> connections.

Hmm, that would explain the crash at the parallel_schedule regression
suite. ipcs showed 5 semaphores, and one shm, when postmaster crashed.
serial tests do work fine. max_connections=100 also works fine.

Do you have any link where this is discussed/analyzed?

> I am planning to ;revert to PostgreSQL 7.1 which is the latest cygwin
> package built with cygipc (instead of cygserver).
>  ;
> It would be nice to have the latest releases of PostgreSQL rebuilt with
> cygipc and available as cygwin packages.

No problem.
If it's really a buggy cygserver I'll do a interim cygipc version. I already
had one, but it clashed with cygserver.

But I really want to try to debug cygserver then.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: All Production releases of PostgreSQL hung because of

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Joek,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:28:39AM +0200, J. Hondius wrote:
> BTW: postgresql-cygwin cannot handle more than 62 concurrent client
> connections due to a limitation in windows,

This is really more of a Cygwin (fork) limitation than a Windows one:

Jason

Re: All Production releases of PostgreSQL hung because of bugs in cygserver

From
"Jean-Pierre Pelletier"
Date:
Sorry, I did a mistake in the version number, the version I reverted to is 7.4.1 and not 7.1

The Cygwin packages for PostgresSQL 7.4.2, 7.4.3, 7.4.4 and 7.4.5 have this problem because they were built with Cygserver.

Jean-Pierre Pelletier