Re: Postgresql wants cygcygipc-2.dll despite server - cy

From
"Leeuw van der, Tim"
Date:
Hi,

I'm actually rather curious to the performance of using cygwin-server for
IPC, instead of using cygipc. Any figures / indications?

greetings,

--Tim

attachments from all computers.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-cygwin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-cygwin-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Jason Tishler
Sent: donderdag 5 februari 2004 19:03
To: ralul_at_gmx.de@svr1.postgresql.org
Cc: pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org; cygwi@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] Postgresql wants cygcygipc-2.dll despite server -
cygwin 1.5.7

Ralph,

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 04:34:04PM +0100, Ralph wrote:
> Just removed ipc-daemon2 to ty cygwin 1.5.7-1 (2004-01-31) cygserver
>
> [snip]
>
> Now i cannot start the postgres 7.4.1-3 database as service anymore.

The above is the expected outcome:

    $ cygcheck /usr/bin/postgres.exe
    C:/cygwin/bin/postgres.exe
      C:/cygwin/bin\cygcygipc-2.dll

You cannot run PostgreSQL against cygserver until either I rebuild it
(against Cygwin 1.5.7-1 or later) *and* release a new package or you
build it yourself.

BTW, the following may be of interest:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-01/msg00179.html

Jason

Re: Postgresql wants cygcygipc-2.dll despite server - cy

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Tim,

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:57:14AM -0500, Leeuw van der, Tim wrote:
> I'm actually rather curious to the performance of using cygwin-server
> for IPC, instead of using cygipc. Any figures / indications?

I have not attempted to do a comprehensive comparison, but I do have
some results from always capturing the output of "time" whenever I run
the regression test.  AFAICT, 7.4.1 running against cygipc takes about 6
minutes to run, while 7.4.1 running against cygserver takes about 5
minutes on the same machine.  An approximately 17% improvement is very
respectable.

Additionally, I presume that Cygwin PostgreSQL should be much more
stable without cygipc (which the original authors admit was a hack at
best).  Hopefully, some of the bizarre problems reported over the years
will "go away" and things like PL/Tcl with start to work.

Jason

Re: Postgresql wants cygcygipc-2.dll despite server - cy

From
Daniel Convissor
Date:
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:24:51AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:

> Additionally, I presume that Cygwin PostgreSQL should be much more
> stable without cygipc (which the original authors admit was a hack at
> best).  Hopefully, some of the bizarre problems reported over the years
> will "go away" and things like PL/Tcl with start to work.

I'm looking forward to the release of the win32 binary which will obviate
the need for using Cygwin to run PostgreSQL.  Heard Bruce speak the other
night and he mentioned it could be out in about six months.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/