problem upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.4

From
"Manuel Tejada"
Date:
I was working with PostgreSQL 7.3.4 easily.
Yesterday I decided to made an upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.4.2.
After upgrading from internet with the setup.exe I followed the normal
procedure to inicializate the postgre. Observe that The initdb failed.

-------------------------------------
admin@alejo ~
$ ipc-daemon &
[1] 935405

admin@alejo ~
$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "admin".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... FATAL:
could not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1081344, 03600).

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/share/postgresql/data"

admin@alejo ~

My questions are:
a) Why I get the FATAL error if I have started the ipc daemon before the
initdb?
b) How to fix this?

Note.- This is no the first upgrade I made. The upgrading from version 7.2
to 7.3 was without problem.

I'll appreciate any answer

Re: problem upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.4

From
Claudio Natoli
Date:
For 7.4.2, you'll need ipc-daemon2 (note the "2"), which you can get from
the cygipc-2.02-1 package now available with Cygwin setup.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

Re: problem upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.4

From
"Manuel Tejada"
Date:
I had cygipc 2.02-1 installed.
Even I just made a reinstallation of cygipc 2.02-1 employing the Cygwin
setup but the result is the same.

> For 7.4.2, you'll need ipc-daemon2 (note the "2"), which you can get from
> the cygipc-2.02-1 package now available with Cygwin setup.
>
> Cheers,
> Claudio

"Leeuw van der, Tim"
Date:
Hi,

Did you also install it as a service? (see the docs)

regards,

--Tim