Postgres 7.4 source building problem

From
"Pieter du Plooy"
Date:
I have been running the compiled 7.3.4-2 bs2 version under
cygwin.  I have recently upgraded my cygwin, and is running
the latest cygipc (ipc-daemon2) with it.  I have just
downloaded 7.4 source.  When I try to build it (runing
configure, I get an error that states that the compiler can
not create executables.  I have searched the net, and seems
that a couple of people have experienced problems with gcc
3 (compiler flags that may be different etc etc).  I have
experienced this problem with gcc 2.95.  I have tried to
fix the problem following steps published on the internet,
but to no avail.

I have even tried building 7.4 using an old cygwin (but
with ipc-daemon2 already running as a service), and still
no luck.

I remember that previously when I have tried to build
previous versions of PG, that configure worked, but then
some other errors occured during gmake and gmake install.
(An old version of cygipc was running).

Could there be a problem between cygipc and gcc?

I am running Windows XP with 7.3.4 wit no problems.

If possible, I would request the following:

1.  Anybody that can help me with this problem,
2.  Anybody that can tell me what packages to use under
cygwin to successfully build the 7.4 source (so that I can
run 7.4),
3.  When is the 7.4 bz2 binary being released?

Sincerly

Pieter du Plooy

==
Download ringtones, logos and picture messages at Ananzi Mobile Fun.
http://www.ananzi.co.za/cgi-bin/goto.pl?mobile

Re: Postgres 7.4 source building problem

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Pieter,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:48:34AM +0200, Pieter du Plooy wrote:
> 3.  When is the 7.4 bz2 binary being released?

See the following:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2003-11/msg00014.html

Jason

Re: Postgres 7.4 source building problem

From
"Markus Seibold"
Date:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge about UNIX system in general. I also want to
run PostgreSQL under Windows and followed the guide available at the
postgresql.org homepage under http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN.

My question is: when should I build PostgreSQL from source and what is the
advantage? I am running PostgreSQL 7.4 under Windows 2000.

Thanks, Markus

--
Markus Seibold
------------------------------

Re: Postgres 7.4 source building problem

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Markus,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:16:32AM +0100, Markus Seibold wrote:
> My question is: when should I build PostgreSQL from source

When the pre-built version does not meet your needs.

> and what is the advantage?

See above.

Jason