Install Probs

From
"shiva"
Date:
Hi

I am trying to install postgresql on Win2000 with cygwin Version  is 1.1.3 but facing problems
firstly i dont wether it is installed, if install how to check it.

when i open Bash shell it logs to Administrator@machine and displays
"Your username or group hasn't been setup correctly.
  This typically happens if you are a domain user
  (cygwin does not automatically create /etc/passwd or
   /etc/group for domain users)"

where is the root user and how to create postgres user and how to log in to postgres is a problem

Secondly i was able to start "ipc-daemon &" successfully and if i do initDB

$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "administrator".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/postgresql/data/base': Permission denied

initdb failed.
[1]+  Done             ;        ipc-daemon

pls advice .............

Shivananda
Oracle DBA.

Re: Install Probs

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Shivananda,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:17:29PM +0530, shiva wrote:
> I am trying to install postgresql on Win2000 with cygwin Version  is
> 1.1.3 but ...
  ^^^^^

Cygwin 1.1.3 is very old.  I highly recommend upgrading to the latest
versions:

    $ cygcheck -cd cygipc cygrunsrv cygwin postgresql
    Cygwin Package Information
    Package              Version
    cygipc               2.01-2
    cygrunsrv            0.96-2
    cygwin               1.5.5-1
    postgresql           7.3.4-2

Please read the README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README

Jason

Post Gre Drivers

From
"Kamalraj Singh Madhan"
Date:
Hi,

Where can i find the list of JDBC drivers which are compatible with PostGre
SQL 7.3.4 version database.

Kamal

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:17:29PM +0530, shiva wrote:
> > I am trying to install postgresql on Win2000 with cygwin Version  is
> > 1.1.3 but ...
>   ^^^^^
>
> Cygwin 1.1.3 is very old.  I highly recommend upgrading to the latest
> versions:
>
>     $ cygcheck -cd cygipc cygrunsrv cygwin postgresql
>     Cygwin Package Information
>     Package              Version
>     cygipc               2.01-2
>     cygrunsrv            0.96-2
>     cygwin               1.5.5-1
>     postgresql           7.3.4-2
>
> Please read the README:

http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README

> Jason
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
> Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

Re: Post Gre Drivers

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Kamal,

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:18:01PM +0530, Kamalraj Singh Madhan wrote:
> Where can i find the list of JDBC drivers which are compatible with
> PostGre SQL 7.3.4 version database.

Sigh...

The README states the following:

    The Cygwin PostgreSQL package is very monolithic compared its RPM
    counterparts and its contents is roughly analogous to the
    aggregation of the following PostgreSQL RPMs:

    postgresql-contrib
    postgresql-devel
    postgresql-docs
    postgresql-jdbc

and the following:

    This distribution has been configured as follows:

        configure --enable-multibyte --with-python --with-perl --with-java --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql-$version

Jason

Re: Post Gre Drivers

From
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Date:
Kamal,

> Where can i find the list of JDBC drivers which are compatible with
PostGre
> SQL 7.3.4 version database.

http://jdbc.postgresql.org

Greetings
Conni

Dump Restore

From
"Kamalraj Singh Madhan"
Date:
Hi,
        I was restoring the dump file of a database and i got this error:
ERROR:  copy: line 2, CopyReadAttribute: end of record marker corrupted.
FATAL 1:  Socket command type unknown
        before or while processing the request.
PQendcopy: resetting connection

Kindly let me know what's wrong with the file.

KAmal

Re: Dump Restore

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Kamal,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:20:34PM +0530, Kamalraj Singh Madhan wrote:
> I was restoring the dump file of a database and i got this error:
> ERROR:  copy: line 2, CopyReadAttribute: end of record marker corrupted.
> FATAL 1:  Socket command type unknown
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
> PQendcopy: resetting connection
>
> Kindly let me know what's wrong with the file.

<WAG>
Is the file in text mode?
</WAG>

Otherwise, I have no idea.

Jason

Re: Install Probs

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Shivananda,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:59:41AM +0530, shiva wrote:
> I checked i have following versions. Can u pls tell me steps to work
> with Postgresql.i am new to cygwin
>
> $ cygcheck -c  cygipc cygrunsrv cygwin postgresql
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version
> cygipc               2.01-2
> cygrunsrv            0.96-1
> cygwin               1.3.22-1
> postgresql           7.3.4-1
>
> Thanks in advance

Sigh...  Reread my previous email and try again.

Jason

Re: Install Probs

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Shiva,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:18:13PM +0530, shiva wrote:
> Thanks for the response i was now able to install Postgres
> Successfully on win2000.

You are welcome.

> I have doubt on creating database when i use INITDB it creates
> Template Database.  Is it possible to create database of my choice.

Yes, use createdb.

Jason

Re: Install Probs

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Shiva,

Please post instead of sending private email.

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 01:25:09PM +0530, shiva wrote:
> What r the steps to createdb of my choice. Is the following Steps
> Correct to create Test DataBase and these steps is working fine.
>
> Ex:
> 1)ipc-daemon2 &
> 2) initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
> 3)postmaster -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
> 4)Open New Cygwin Window
> 5) createdb test
> 6)psql test and start working
>
> If i want create DB of test in my own Folder what shall i do ..... and
> following steps will help in maintainence, backup  and attchment of
> Database.
> pls comment...

The above is a general PostgreSQL question.  Please ask it on the
<pgsql-general@postgresql.org> list.

Thanks,
Jason