installing postgres on windows2003 server

From
"stealth monkey"
Date:
hi everyone i'm experiencing difficulties getting postgres to work properly

i have installed postgres on the windows 2003 using PgSQL731wina1.exe

my computer name is 'NSXBOX'
i logged in as 'Administrator'

postgres installs but at the end of the installation i get this error

chown 'Administrator.unknown' invalid group

i look in the users and groups for windows 2003 and find this
- there is a user named 'Administrator'
- there is no group named 'Administrator' BUT there is a group named
'Administrators'

i also get some error on needing where to database system will reside

and then it ask me to enter password for 'NSXBOX\Administrator'

i set and re enter the password as ' ' (i just hit enter twice without
typing anything in)

i had a few problems getting the database to start but after some changes i
have successfully started the database

once the database is started i try to create a database

Administrator @nsxbox ~

$ createdb test

i get the error
psql: FATAL: user "Administrator" does not exist
createdb: database creation failed

so then i try to switch users

Administrator @nsxbox ~

$ su Administrator
Password (in enter nothing i just hit enter because that is what i set the
password to)
su:incorrect password

i have been trying to get this database to work for a week now with no
luck..i f anyone could help much would be appreciated....

Re: installing postgres on windows2003 server

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:42:56AM -0600, stealth monkey wrote:
> i have installed postgres on the windows 2003 using PgSQL731wina1.exe

Is PgSQL731wina1.exe a native Win32 or Cygwin build of PostgreSQL?  If
native, then your post is off-topic for this list.  If Cygwin, then I
would recommend using the pre-built 7.3.4 that is part of the standard
Cygwin distribution.  BTW, Cygwin currently has issues with Windows 2003.

Jason

Connection Pool Problem

From
"Kamalraj Singh Madhan"
Date:
Hi,
       I'am using PostGreSQL version 7.1.3 with Tomcat.
       I have written a connection pool program which takes a parameter from
configuration file and makes a pool of connections out of it. The problem
comes during the making of the initial few (4 - 5) connections which take a
lot of time and then later on the rest of the connections are smoothly made
within a span of a minute.
   Is this an issue with the database, why is it taking so much longer for
the initial few connections to be made with the database ??

Waiting for reply.

regards
Kamal

Re: Connection Pool Problem

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Kamal,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:10:38PM +0530, Kamalraj Singh Madhan wrote:
> I'am using PostGreSQL version 7.1.3 with Tomcat.
>
> I have written a connection pool program which takes a parameter from
> configuration file and makes a pool of connections out of it. The
> problem comes during the making of the initial few (4 - 5) connections
> which take a lot of time and then later on the rest of the connections
> are smoothly made within a span of a minute.
>
> Is this an issue with the database, why is it taking so much longer
> for the initial few connections to be made with the database ??
>
> Waiting for reply.

Sorry, but I'm not qualified to address the above.

Jason