trouble by running 'Initialize PostgreSQL'

From
"Olavi Tiimus"
Date:
in postgresql-7.3.4.README there stands..

8. Initialize PostgreSQL (*when running under the "postgres" account*):

    $ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

How can I log on as 'postgres'?

If I put 'su - postgres' then it asks password, I type the password, it says - 'su: incorrect password' The password _is_ correct.

Can anybody help me? Or is there another way to run '$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data'?

Olavi

Redirection Unexpected error

From
Seth Rubin
Date:
After a struggle, I've been running postgres OK on my winXP Home machine,
and it's working fine now.  However, when trying to install exactly the same
configuration on someone else's XPhome machine, I'm getting a weird error I
haven't seen before.

Both postmaster and vi exit with a "syntax error: redirection unexpected"
whenever they're invoked.  I suspect this is more a cygwin-related problem,
but I haven't found much in any archive except a similar query from 3 years
ago.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

-- Seth

Re: Redirection Unexpected error

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Seth,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:50:47PM -0400, Seth Rubin wrote:
> Both postmaster and vi exit with a "syntax error: redirection
> unexpected" whenever they're invoked.  I suspect this is more a
> cygwin-related problem, but I haven't found much in any archive except
> a similar query from 3 years ago.

Note the following:

    $ ls -l /usr/bin/vi /usr/bin/postmaster
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 Administ Domain U       23 Aug  5 09:36 /usr/bin/postmaster -> postgres.exe
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 Administ Domain U       18 Sep 17 08:26 /usr/bin/vi -> vim.exe

Hence, both vi and postmaster are symlinks.  It appears that symlinks
are not working on this particular machine.  Fix this problem and
PostgreSQL should be OK.  Sorry that I can't be any more helpful.

Jason

Re: Redirection Unexpected error

From
"joek hondius"
Date:
If you copy a cygwin symlink under windows it changes to a windows shortcut.
Those do not work under cygwin. Remove the  .lnk file on your cygwin prompt
and ln -s a new one.