One-click postgres install without needing cygwin

From
"Carl Youngblood"
Date:
Hello all,

After going through the installation process for postgres under windows I've been thinking that this process could be simplified considerably.  I am thinking about making a one-click install for postgres under windows that uses the cygwin dll and any other necessary cygwin files, but embeds them in its own directory so that they will only be visible to itself.  It would also need to work if the user already had cygwin installed by making sure that postgres used its own versions of the cygwin files and not ones in the path.

I have experience with making installshield-like executables, but I'm not sure what cygwin files need to be included for it to work.  Is there anyone out there who is willing to make a list of necessary files for me?  Even better would be a list of full paths as they occur in a default cygwin installation.  I can then make sure that the install goes through the steps listed in the installation instructions (setting up the postgres user, permissions etc.).  I can also make sure that the install uses different steps depending on the user's version of Windows.

Carl Youngblood
Attachment

Re: One-click postgres install without needing cygwin

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Carl,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:17:39AM -0600, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> After going through the installation process for postgres under
> windows I've been thinking that this process could be simplified
> considerably.  I am thinking about making a one-click install for
> postgres under windows...

You may want to wait for Win32 PostgreSQL before attempting the above...

> ...that uses the cygwin dll and any other necessary cygwin files, but
> embeds them in its own directory so that they will only be visible to
> itself.  It would also need to work if the user already had cygwin
> installed by making sure that postgres used its own versions of the
> cygwin files and not ones in the path.

Unfortunately, the above is not possible.  Only *one* version of Cygwin
can be used on a system at a time.  All Cygwin processes connect to a
common shared memory segment and will abort if there is a version
mis-match.

> I have experience with making installshield-like executables, but I'm
> not sure what cygwin files need to be included for it to work.  Is
> there anyone out there who is willing to make a list of necessary
> files for me?

The above has been asked before and only partially answered.  Search the
archives for the details.

> Even better would be a list of full paths as they occur in a default
> cygwin installation.

Ditto.

> I can then make sure that the install goes through the steps listed in
> the installation instructions (setting up the postgres user,
> permissions etc.).  I can also make sure that the install uses
> different steps depending on the user's version of Windows.

You will have difficulties implementing the "initdb as postgres" step
because Cygwin currently lacks a functional su.  There are workarounds
(e.g., ssh), but it will make your installer dependent on other tools
being previously set up.

Jason

Re: One-click postgres install without needing cygwin

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Carl,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:07:15AM -0600, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> > You may want to wait for Win32 PostgreSQL before attempting the
> > above...
>
> When is this supposed to be available?

Originally 7.4.  Now it seems like 7.5.

Jason

Re: One-click postgres install without needing cygwin

From
"Carl Youngblood"
Date:
Sorry, I've been a little absent-minded lately.  I've just been mindelessly
clicking the reply button.

Carl