Can't find ipc-daemon on latest cygwin install

From
"Carl Youngblood"
Date:
I'm stuck trying to install Postgres on Windows because I downloaded the
latest cygwin and it doesn't have ipc-daemon.  Just to make sure that I
didn't leave out a package, I installed everything.  There was a package
called "cygipc" but it now installs a file called ipc-daemon2.  I tried
running that, thinking that it might still work with postgres, but I get a
DLL linking error.  ipc-daemon2 (as it is currently shipping with cygwin) is
incompatible with the cygwin dll.

Has anybody had this problem, and what did you do about it?

I don't know about you guys, but after being an avid MySQL fan and seeing
how easy it is to install and set it up on both Windows and Linux, I think
that having a packaged one-click installation for postgres on windows would
be an incredible boon to the postgres community and would go a long way
towards making it easier to adopt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl Youngblood

Attachment

Re: Can't find ipc-daemon on latest cygwin install

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Carl,

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 08:31:08PM -0600, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> what did you do about it?

Read the README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.3.README

and install cygipc 1.14-1.

Note Chuck Wilson's web site seems to be "unavailable" (at least to me)
at the moment...

Jason

Re: Can't find ipc-daemon on latest cygwin install

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Carl,

I presume that you meant to reply-all...

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:47:20AM -0600, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> Yes, it's been down for the last few days now.  This information is
> more important than your average blog.  Has anybody considered
> requesting some more permanent and reliable location for this stuff,
> perhaps somewhere at cygwin.com?  Or maybe sourceforge?

Starting with cygipc-2.00-1, cygipc will be an official Cygwin package.
Hence, it will be on all Cygwin mirrors.

> In the meantime, can anybody send me a copy of cygipc so that I can
> continue with my install?

You can find it mirrored here:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/cygipc/

> Many thanks,

You are welcome.

Jason

Re: Can't find ipc-daemon on latest cygwin install

From
Ian Burrell
Date:
Carl Youngblood wrote:

> I'm stuck trying to install Postgres on Windows because I downloaded the
> latest cygwin and it doesn't have ipc-daemon.  Just to make sure that I
> didn't leave out a package, I installed everything.  There was a package
> called "cygipc" but it now installs a file called ipc-daemon2.  I tried
> running that, thinking that it might still work with postgres, but I get a
> DLL linking error.  ipc-daemon2 (as it is currently shipping with cygwin) is
> incompatible with the cygwin dll.

It looks like cygipc 2.00 depends on cygwin 1.50.  You can also install
that through Cygwin setup.  It is marked as experimental but is useful
because it fixes the chmod problem with Unix sockets.

However, the current version of postgresql only seems to work with
cygipc 1.14.  It sounds like postgresql would have to be recompiled to
work with cygipc 2.0.

  - Ian

Date:
Jason Tishler wrote:

> Starting with cygipc-2.00-1, cygipc will be an official Cygwin package.
> Hence, it will be on all Cygwin mirrors.

Are you planning on building a postgresql release compiled with cygipc
2.0?  It sounds like recompilation is required to use the new version.
Also, it would be helpful to add a dependency on cygipc so Cygwin setup
installs it automatically.  The new release would have to be marked as
experimental since cygipc 2.00 and cygwin 1.50 are still test releases.

  - Ian

Re: Can't find ipc-daemon on latest cygwin install

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Ian,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:09:38PM -0700, Ian Burrell wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >Starting with cygipc-2.00-1, cygipc will be an official Cygwin
> >package.  Hence, it will be on all Cygwin mirrors.
>
> Are you planning on building a postgresql release compiled with cygipc
> 2.0?  It sounds like recompilation is required to use the new version.
> Also, it would be helpful to add a dependency on cygipc so Cygwin
> setup installs it automatically.  The new release would have to be
> marked as experimental since cygipc 2.00 and cygwin 1.50 are still
> test releases.

Yes, to all of the above.  Sorry, no ETA.

Jason