Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
"Roger Ackroyd"
Date:
Have followed the Win XP Install readme as far as step 9 without problem

net start postmaster fails with
FATAL: File /usr/share/postgresql/data/PG_VERSION is missing. This is not a valid data directory.

The database was initialised ok acording to messages received at step 8.

Any idea what I am doing wrong please? Have run out of thing to try
Thanks
Roger

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Roger,

There is no need to post twice within two days -- especially on the
weekend.  Sorry, but I don't get paid enough to provide support on the
weekends.  Oh, I just remembered, I don't get paid anything on week days
either.  :,( or :,)

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:41:19PM +0100, Roger Ackroyd wrote:
> Have followed the Win XP Install readme as far as step 9 without
> problem
>
> net start postmaster fails with
> FATAL: File /usr/share/postgresql/data/PG_VERSION is missing. This is
> not a valid data directory.
>
> The database was initialised ok acording to messages received at step
> 8.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong please?

Is the postmaster running under the same account as the one that ran
initdb?  What are the permissions of /usr/share/postgresql/data and the
files contained in it:

    $ ls -dl /usr/share/postgresql/data
    drwx------+   6 postgres None         4096 Jul 14 07:50 /usr/share/postgresql/data
    $ ls -l /usr/share/postgresql/data
    total 14
    -rw-------    1 postgres None            4 May 29 07:31 PG_VERSION
    drwx------+   4 postgres None            0 May 29 07:32 base
    drwx------+   2 postgres None         4096 Jul 14 07:50 global
    drwx------+   2 postgres None            0 May 29 07:32 pg_clog
    -rw-------    1 postgres None         2329 May 29 07:32 pg_hba.conf
    -rw-------    1 postgres None         1441 May 29 07:32 pg_ident.conf
    drwx------+   2 postgres None            0 May 29 07:32 pg_xlog
    -rw-------    1 postgres None         5178 May 29 07:32 postgresql.conf
    -rw-------    1 postgres None           59 Jul 14 07:50 postmaster.opts
    -rw-------    1 postgres None           52 Jul 14 07:50 postmaster.pid

Jason

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Roger,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:54:20PM +0100, Roger @ LetsGetSet wrote:
> [...]

I have seen similar reports by other XP Home users.  Sorry, but I do not
have access to this platform.  Hopefully, another XP Home user will help
you out.  Otherwise, you will have to debug this yourself.

Jason

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
"Roger Ackroyd"
Date:
As might have been expected, getting postmaster running was not end of
story.

Attached is result of attempting step [10] (psql ...) from each account and
current listing of .../data directory from each account.
Roger
p.s. I will get the proper drill-down on posting to this this list -
promise.

Attachment

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
Seth Rubin
Date:
See note [16]
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2003-07/msg00004.php

As might have been expected, getting postmaster running was not end of
story.

Attached is result of attempting step [10] (psql ...) from each account and
current listing of .../data directory from each account.
Roger
p.s. I will get the proper drill-down on posting to this this list -
promise.

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Roger,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:23:50AM +0100, Roger Ackroyd wrote:
> Owner@gabriel /
> $ psql -U postgres template1
> psql: could not connect to server: Bad file descriptor
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> postgres@gabriel /
> $ psql -U postgres template1
> psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.

See the following:

> Owner@gabriel /
> $ ls -dl /usr/share/postgresql/data
> drwx------+   2 postgres None            0 Jul 16 02:53 /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> Owner@gabriel /
> $ ls -l /usr/share/postgresql/data
> total 0

The above is as expected.

> postgres@gabriel /
> $ ls -dl /usr/share/postgresql/data
> drwx------+   6 postgres None            0 Jul 16 02:53 /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> postgres@gabriel /
> $ ls -l /usr/share/postgresql/data
> total 14
> -rw-------    1 postgres None            4 Jul 16 02:50 PG_VERSION
> drwx------+   4 postgres None            0 Jul 16 02:51 base
> drwx------+   2 postgres None            0 Jul 16 02:53 global
> drwx------+   2 postgres None            0 Jul 16 02:50 pg_clog
> -rw-------    1 postgres None         2329 Jul 16 02:50 pg_hba.conf
> -rw-------    1 postgres None         1441 Jul 16 02:50 pg_ident.conf
> drwx------+   2 postgres None            0 Jul 16 02:50 pg_xlog
> -rw-------    1 postgres None         5178 Jul 16 02:50 postgresql.conf
> -rw-------    1 postgres None           59 Jul 16 02:53 postmaster.opts
> -rw-------    1 postgres None           51 Jul 16 02:53 postmaster.pid

Ditto.

Jason

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
"Roger Ackroyd"
Date:
Jason, Seth, ...
It was indeed the cygwin1.dll
Easily got my JDBC driver connection Ok.
Apologies to Jason over my confusion with regard interpretation of cygrunsrv
atts.
Thanks for your help and patience. I learned a lot, so I am also indebted to
you for that tutorage.
Regards
Roger

Start on JBoss now! If you have any comments on that.

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Roger,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:43:06PM +0100, Roger Ackroyd wrote:
> Thanks for your help and patience.

You are welcome.

> I learned a lot,

IMO, the knowledge gained is usually correlated to the pain felt...  :,)

> so I am also indebted to you for that tutorage.

Are you willing to return the favor?  If so, can you summarize what you
needed to do to get PostgreSQL running under XP Home?  Or, at least
confirm that Seth's version of my README is accurate?  Or, tweak his
README, if necessary?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Problem starting postmaster on Win XP Home

From
"Chris Timm"
Date:
Yes that would would be good for some help on how people have managed to get
this to work.