Bug report from pgsql-bugs (cygipc?)

From
Claudio Natoli
Date:
Hello all,

previously posted to pgsql-bugs:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-03/msg00209.php

As it didn't get much traction there (since the bug does appear isolated to
cygwin; race condition in cygipc?), is anyone here able to:

a) replicate the problem on their system?
b) confirm our suspicions of cygipc (and/or point us in the right direction
for correcting the culprit)

Cheers,
Claudio

http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html

Re: Bug report from pgsql-bugs (cygipc?)

From
"Joerg Last"
Date:
Hello,

> a) replicate the problem on their system?
I've reproduced it
on

Win2K (SP3)
cygwin     1.3.21-1
cygipc     1.13
postgresql 7.3.2-1

It hangs after about 1000 create/drop pairs.

> b) confirm our suspicions of cygipc (and/or point us in the right
direction for correcting the culprit)
I'm sorry, I could help any further.

By,
Joerg.

Re: Bug report from pgsql-bugs (cygipc?)

From
"Joerg Last"
Date:
Hello, again
> > b) confirm our suspicions of cygipc (and/or point us in the right
> direction for correcting the culprit)
> I'm sorry, I could help any further.
Of course, I wanted to say "I could not help any further",
but now I found that not only psql hangs.
It seems, that ipc-daemon hangs too.
Nor I can't start postmaster again,
neighter I can't leave the sesseion where
ipc-daemon runs (with Ctl-D).
Only "hard" close of window worked.

I know, it's not a big help, but it also points to cygwin/ipc.

By,
Jörg.

Re: Bug report from pgsql-bugs (cygipc?)

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Claudio,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 03:25:00PM +0200, Joerg Last wrote:
> > a) replicate the problem on their system?
> I've reproduced it on
>
> [snip]
>
> > b) confirm our suspicions of cygipc (and/or point us in the right
> > direction for correcting the culprit)
> I'm sorry, I could help any further.

Unfortunately, I think that the following applies:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2003-04/msg00014.php

Jason

Date:
> > I'm sorry, I could help any further.

Joerg, your help/insight is greatly appreciated.

> Unfortunately, I think that the following applies:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2003-04/msg00014.php
>
> Jason

Jason, is there any real point in trying to run debug versions of
Postgresql/cygipc? Seems like cygipc has a short life expectancy... Is there
a firm time-frame for the incorporation of SysV IPC in cygwin and/or can you
suggest a suitable starting point for "helping finish" it?

Cheers,
Claudio

http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html

Re: Bug report from pgsql-bugs (cygipc?)

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Claudio,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:36:53AM +1000, Claudio Natoli wrote:
> Jason, is there any real point in trying to run debug versions of
> Postgresql/cygipc?

It depends on your perspective, motivation, etc.

> Seems like cygipc has a short life expectancy...

cygipc has been deprecated for a long time (on the order of years now),
but has *not* been replaced yet.

> Is there a firm time-frame for the incorporation of SysV IPC in cygwin

No.  Note that the previous, major contributor has gone AWOL too.

Hence, you may get some good short-term "bang for your buck" by
debugging the current code base.

> and/or can you suggest a suitable starting point for "helping finish"
> it?

See the following:

    http://cygwin.com/contrib.html

Jason