My make was successful after all...

From
Andrew Klimov

Thank you again, Jason!

Configure and make was completed sucessfully.The one thing disturbs me. When I'd tried to configure --with-tcl the earlier 7.2.3 version source,I'd noticed from compiler that I have not a files like X11/Xlib.h. I'd try to find dircetory X11 in my cygwin installation, but unsuccessfully. After that I'd installed ActiveTcl 8.3 from http://www.activestate.com and then simply copied the directory X11 from ActiveTcl package to /usr/include/X11. Compiler errors disappear. Now, what should I do, when I have new,Postgres 7.3.1 compiled from source with --with-tcl option succewssfully? Of course, I can uninstall ActiveTcl,delete /usr/include/X11 directory in cygwin, and then try to compile Postgres again. But should I do it? My environment is not too fast to recompile such a large thing as SQL server from source.So I won't experiment. I want to know where is the source of misunderstood for me - if compiler want to find <X11> files ,&nb sp;but cygwin distribution haven't these files - should I act as I described above (simply copy these files from third-party distribution), or maybe my Cygwin installation is incomplete and I'd better try to find it on cygwin related sites?

However all works, and this is great!

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: My make was successful after all...

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Andrew,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:14:09AM -0800, Andrew Klimov wrote:
> Thank you again, Jason!

You are very welcome.

> I'd tried to configure --with-tcl the earlier 7.2.3 version source,I'd
> noticed from compiler that I have not a files like X11/Xlib.h.

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the Cygwin Tcl/Tk binary
package.  Please search the Cygwin archives for the details, if
interested.

Anyway, the following excerpt from my Cygwin Python README:

    2. The _tkinter extension module will only be built if the X11
    header files from the tcltk-20021218-1 source archive have been
    copied to /usr/include:

        $ mkdir -p /usr/include/X11
        $ tar -xjf tcltk-20021218-1-src.tar.bz2
        $ cp tcltk-20021218-1/tk/xlib/X11/*.h /usr/include/X11

details a better recipe for getting the required headers.  It also
explains why I didn't have this problem -- I already had these files
installed for Python.

Jason