Installing Postgresql-7.3 on Cygwin (Win2000pro)

From
"David A. Cobb"
Date:
In the /usr/doc/postgresql-7.3/FAQ_MSWIN I find the following caveaat:

<quote>

3.  The Cygwin bin directory has to be placed in the path before the
    Windows program directories, because the sort.exe has to be taken
    from Cygwin, not Windows.

4

</quote>

However, this is really pretty unsatisfactory.  When I run in a Cygwin
shell, indeed, the Windoz command directories are the "last resort,"
because I expect Cygwin to supply nearly everything I need.  But,
outside the Cygwin shell environment, putting the cygwin /bin path ahead
of the Windoz directories also changes such things as FTP -- and that is
NOT acceptable.  For one thing, it does very un-nice things in Xemacs.

I don't expect the postmaster, or other pgsql components, to run in any
command shell at all but as Win services.
I suppose I can mess with the user-environment variables of the postgres
"user," but I don't know how good an idea that is.

Any other alternattives?  Is sort the only issue?  -- I never use MS
sort, I could always rename it.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.

Re: Installing Postgresql-7.3 on Cygwin (Win2000pro)

From
Robinows@netscape.net (David Robinow)
Date:
"David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:

>In the /usr/doc/postgresql-7.3/FAQ_MSWIN I find the following caveaat:
>
>because I expect Cygwin to supply nearly everything I need.  But,
>outside the Cygwin shell environment, putting the cygwin /bin path ahead
>of the Windoz directories also changes such things as FTP -- and that is
>NOT acceptable.  For one thing, it does very un-nice things in Xemacs.
 I know nothing about Postgresql, but, in Xemacs, try:
  (setq efs-ftp-program-name "c:/windows/system32/ftp"))

[Too bad postgresql won't let you do:
   (setq sort-program-name "c:/cygwin/bin/sort")
]

Re: Installing Postgresql-7.3 on Cygwin (Win2000pro)

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
David,

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:07:34PM -0500, David A. Cobb wrote:
> I don't expect the postmaster, or other pgsql components, to run in
> any command shell at all but as Win services.  I suppose I can mess
> with the user-environment variables of the postgres "user," but I
> don't know how good an idea that is.

Why not use the cygrunsrv --env option?

> Any other alternattives?

None that I can think of except...

> -- I never use MS sort, I could always rename it.

the above.

> Is sort the only issue?

I think so.

Jason