Postmaster will not start

From
"beakerboy@www.com"
Date:
I've recently encountered a problem when starting up the postmaster.  I've
checked the list archives and the web via google and have not encountered
a solution.  I'm running cygwin on a IBM thinkpad running windows 2000.
PostgreSQL was running fine a couple weeks ago and all I've changed (That
I can think of) is the additional installation of cgoban.Here's the error:

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ ipc-daemon &
[1] 1280

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ source /.bashrc

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ postmaster -i &
[2] 1400

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ FATAL:  could not set permissions on /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: Invalid argument
postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

[2]+  Exit 1                  postmaster -i

I've checked the permissions on the /tmp directory and all seems fine.
Any ideas?
Kevin Nowaczyk

WWW.COM - Where The Web Begins! http://www.www.com/

Re: Postmaster will not start

From
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Date:
Hi Kevin

> Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
> $ postmaster -i &
> [2] 1400
You missed the path to the data-directory.

This little shell script is working well for me:
#!/bin/sh
echo
echo "PostgreSQL starten:"
postmaster -i -D /usr/share/postgresql/data &
ps -f

Hope it helps
Conni
--
PostgreSQL, Grundlagen, Praxis, Anwendungsentwicklung mit PHP
http://www.dpunkt.de/buch/3-89864-175-9.html

Re: Postmaster will not start

From
"beakerboy@www.com"
Date:
This isn't the problem.  Historically I've always typed what I stated and
it's worked.  The contents of /.bashrc is:
$ cat /.bashrc
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:
PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH PGDA

so this contains all the necessary information.  Any other thoughts anybody?

Kevin

Cornelia Boenigk said:
> Hi Kevin
>
>> Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
>> $ postmaster -i &
>> [2] 1400
> You missed the path to the data-directory.
>
> This little shell script is working well for me:
> #!/bin/sh
> echo
> echo "PostgreSQL starten:"
> postmaster -i -D /usr/share/postgresql/data &
> ps -f
>
> Hope it helps
> Conni
> --
> PostgreSQL, Grundlagen, Praxis, Anwendungsentwicklung mit PHP
> http://www.dpunkt.de/buch/3-89864-175-9.html
> http://www.pgsql.info
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the
> postmaster

WWW.COM - Where The Web Begins! http://www.www.com/

Re: Postmaster will not start

From
s0lao@netscape.net (S. L.)
Date:
"beakerboy@www.com" <beakerboy@www.com> wrote:

[...]
>PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:
>PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
>PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH PGDA
>
>so this contains all the necessary information.  Any other thoughts anybody?
[...]

About the env vars, a little cygwin hint: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is useless. Use PATH instead (and the value should be
"/usr/local/pgsql/lib",not "/usr/local/pgsql" as in your output - excepting the case you instructed the configure
scriptto install dlls in /usr/local/pgsql).

About the "/tmp" issue, try a chown and a chmod on a file in /tmp and see if that works. If it does, then you should
checkhttp://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-07/msg00043.php . The first "4." item there states some relevant
information.

SLao

Re: Postmaster will not start

From
"beakerboy@www.com"
Date:
Now we're getting somewhere,  /tmp has drwxrwxrwx privs and I can create
files and directories, but I can not use chmod or chown:
Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 /tmp
$ chmod 777 XWin.log
chmod: changing permissions of `XWin.log': Invalid argument

so I have no clue how I can be logged in as Administrator and not be able
to change access privs :-/
Keivn

S. L. said:
> "beakerboy@www.com" <beakerboy@www.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:
>>PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
>>PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql
>>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH PGDA
>>
>>so this contains all the necessary information.  Any other thoughts
>>anybody?
> [...]
>
> About the env vars, a little cygwin hint: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is useless.
> Use PATH instead (and the value should be "/usr/local/pgsql/lib", not
> "/usr/local/pgsql" as in your output - excepting the case you
> instructed the configure script to install dlls in /usr/local/pgsql).
>
> About the "/tmp" issue, try a chown and a chmod on a file in /tmp and
> see if that works. If it does, then you should check
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-07/msg00043.php . The
> first "4." item there states some relevant information.
>
> SLao
>
>I've recently encountered a problem when starting up the postmaster.
>I've checked the list archives and the web via google and have not
>encountered a solution.  I'm running cygwin on a IBM thinkpad running
>windows 2000. PostgreSQL was running fine a couple weeks ago and all I've
>changed (That I can think of) is the additional installation of cgoban.
>Here's the error:
Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ ipc-daemon &
[1] 1280

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ source /.bashrc

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ postmaster -i &
[2] 1400

Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ FATAL:  could not set permissions on /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: Invalid
argument postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
[2]+  Exit 1                  postmaster -i

I've checked the permissions on the /tmp directory and all seems fine.
Any ideas?
Kevin Nowaczyk

WWW.COM - Where The Web Begins! http://www.www.com/

installation

From
Florian Litot
Date:
When we install cygwinwith postgre  pg is confogure to accept syslog?

Date:
"beakerboy@www.com" <beakerboy@www.com> wrote:

>Now we're getting somewhere,  /tmp has drwxrwxrwx privs and I can create
>files and directories, but I can not use chmod or chown:
>Administrator@CDMKNOWACZYT30 /tmp
>$ chmod 777 XWin.log
>chmod: changing permissions of `XWin.log': Invalid argument
>
>so I have no clue how I can be logged in as Administrator and not be able
>to change access privs :-/
[...]

Except a previous post I made about this (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-10/msg00045.php), regarding
thechecking of "ntsec" and "ntea" variables, there's also a mention about checking the "/etc/passwd" and "/etc/group".
Youmust have them sync'ed with your w2000 user database, and also must check that the user you use to run the backend,
hasthe proper rights (as w2000 user and as cygwin filesystem access rights).

SLao