Problem with install instructions

From
"Tom Berger"
Date:
How to install PostgreSQL on Windows:

I am stuck on step 3.  I downloaded cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2 to my c:\ drive
and am typing

$tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2

but am getting an error message

I don't understand what you mean by step 3.

Does it have to be saved to a particular folder and what do you mean by step
3?

Thank you,

Tom Berger
Formix solutions, Corp.
6423 Frederick Road, Suite 15
Baltimore, MD  21228
http://www.formixsolutions.com
V: 410-869-3795 X 12
F: 410-869-3566

Re: Problem with install instructions

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"

cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2 should have been put in
c:\cygwin (or wherever you installed cygwin to).
Then you should have gone to BASH (cygwin) prompt
then gone the root of the cygwin sub-filesystem
(by typing cd / ) then tar -jxvf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2
This should then expand cygipc to the right place.
hth,
- Stuart

Jason Tishler
Date:
Tom,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:16:08AM -0400, Tom Berger wrote:
> How to install PostgreSQL on Windows:
>
> I am stuck on step 3.  I downloaded cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2 to my c:\ drive
> and am typing
>
> $tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2
>
> but am getting an error message

The "$" above indicates the prompt.  Just type the following:

    tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2

> I don't understand what you mean by step 3.

See below...

> Does it have to be saved to a particular folder

Yes, but the above tar command will take care of that.

> and what do you mean by step 3?

The Windows system PATH must have the Cygwin bin directories listed
before the Windows ones.  For example, under Windows 2000:

    C:\home\jt>set path
    Path=C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;...

You may find the following helpful too:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1.README

Jason

Re: Problem with install instructions

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Tom,

Please keep your replies on-list...

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:31:17PM -0400, Tom Berger wrote:
> I appreciate your help.  I'm taking my first unix/postresql steps.  I
> had some HP-UX classes 10 years ago..it's all fuzzy.

Welcome back from the dark side. :,)

> I'm getting this error when I type $tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2
> tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
>
> I dont think I have bzip2 installed,

You are correct.

> although I went through a normal cygwin installation.

You must explicitly select it -- bzip2 is under the Utils category.

BTW, if bandwidth and disk space are not a problem, then I would install
all packages.  Just click on the "spin icon" just to the right of the
"All" category until "Install" is displayed.

Jason