psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Steven Williams
Date:
Hi,

I am using the pre-built binary for cygwin and so far everything works
except psql which throws up an error saying it can't fing cygncurses5.dll.
I checked my system and sure enough I don't have it. I do have
cygncurses6.dll and cygncurses++6.dll however. I tried making psql from the
source and even though that was successsful the same error occurs.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Steve Williams

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Date:
Hello,
    I don't know why this is happening, but my first thought is that you
are still actually using the older psql rather than your compiled one. Do a
quick search to see where psql.exe is. The pre-compiled version goes, I
*think*, to /bin while the tar ball from the postgresql site defaults to
/usr/local/pgsql/bin.
    I've got a cygncurses5.dll which I can mail it to you if you want
(no guarantees of correctness, etc...).
- Stuart

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Dave Page

I got this problem myself Stuart after upgrading Cygwin the other day, both
with Jason's precompiled version, and a 7.2 snapshot (I even tried
./configure;make all again). I restored cygncurses5.dll from an older
version and all is fine now...

Regards, Dave.

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:30:16AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> I got this problem myself Stuart after upgrading Cygwin the other day, both
> with Jason's precompiled version, and a 7.2 snapshot (I even tried
> ./configure;make all again). I restored cygncurses5.dll from an older
> version and all is fine now...

Did you see the following?

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00124.html

I will build PostgreSQL 7.2 against ncurses-5.2-7, but until then please
head the warning in the above.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Dave Brunberg
Date:
I had this problem too after I upgraded cygwin.  All I had to do to fix it
was to run the current cygwin installer and uninstall and then reinstall
cygncurses5.dll.   Works fine for me now.

dwb

David W. Brunberg
Senior Field Process Engineer
The F.B. Leopold Company, Inc.
227 South Division Street
Zelienople PA 16063
(724) 452-6300

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:33:12AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:30:16AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > I got this problem myself Stuart after upgrading Cygwin the other day, both
> > with Jason's precompiled version, and a 7.2 snapshot (I even tried
> > ./configure;make all again). I restored cygncurses5.dll from an older
> > version and all is fine now...
>
> I will build PostgreSQL 7.2 against ncurses-5.2-7, but until then please
> head the warning in the above.

Actually after further reflection, there is nothing that I can do
directly as the Cygwin PostgreSQL maintainer to correct this problem.
psql is not directly dependent on cygncursesX.dll:

$ objdump -p /usr/bin/psql.exe | fgrep 'DLL Name'
        DLL Name: pq.dll
        DLL Name: cygwin1.dll
        DLL Name: cygreadline5.dll
        DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll

However, readline is directly dependent on ncurses:

$ objdump -p /usr/bin/cygreadline5.dll | fgrep 'DLL Name'
        DLL Name: cygncurses5.dll
        DLL Name: cygwin1.dll
        DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
        DLL Name: USER32.dll

Hence, psql is indirectly dependent on ncurses.  So, I have to wait for
the Cygwin readline maintainer to rebuilt his package before I can
rebuild PostgreSQL to remove its indirect dependency on ncurses.

Jason

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
"Fu, Robert"
Date:
Temporarily renaming cygncurses5.dll to cygncurses4.dll (or whatever it's
looking for) worked for me.

Robert

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:33:12AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:30:16AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > I got this problem myself Stuart after upgrading Cygwin the other day,
both
> > with Jason's precompiled version, and a 7.2 snapshot (I even tried
> > ./configure;make all again). I restored cygncurses5.dll from an older
> > version and all is fine now...
>
> I will build PostgreSQL 7.2 against ncurses-5.2-7, but until then please
> head the warning in the above.

Actually after further reflection, there is nothing that I can do
directly as the Cygwin PostgreSQL maintainer to correct this problem.
psql is not directly dependent on cygncursesX.dll:

$ objdump -p /usr/bin/psql.exe | fgrep 'DLL Name'
        DLL Name: pq.dll
        DLL Name: cygwin1.dll
        DLL Name: cygreadline5.dll
        DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll

However, readline is directly dependent on ncurses:

$ objdump -p /usr/bin/cygreadline5.dll | fgrep 'DLL Name'
        DLL Name: cygncurses5.dll
        DLL Name: cygwin1.dll
        DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
        DLL Name: USER32.dll

Hence, psql is indirectly dependent on ncurses.  So, I have to wait for
the Cygwin readline maintainer to rebuilt his package before I can
rebuild PostgreSQL to remove its indirect dependency on ncurses.

Jason

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Robert,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:52:09AM -0700, Fu, Robert wrote:
> Temporarily renaming cygncurses5.dll to cygncurses4.dll (or whatever it's
> looking for) worked for me.

The above is terrible advice.  The appropriate solution is to rerun
setup.exe and reinstall the ncurses package that contains cygncurses5.dll.
This has been mentioned numerous times on the Cygwin mailing list.

Jason

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Dave Page

Whilst I agree that renaming is not a good idea, unfortunately the reality
is that searching that Cygwin list is not always the first thing that
springs to mind for some of us PostgreSQL users (pgsql-cygwin maybe...). I
for one don't subscribe to the Cygwin list and probably never will - the
traffic on the other 6 or 7 lists I read is hard enough to keep up with - so
I don't tend to think of it when I should do.

I'm going to go and hide now as I can feel a telling-off on the way from
Jason :-) ...

Regards, Dave.

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Dave,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 09:05:36PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, Dave with a lead in like the above, I just couldn't resist... :,)

> Whilst I agree that renaming is not a good idea,

Let's put it this way, you were lucky that the above worked.  The next
time you may not be so lucky.

> unfortunately the reality
> is that searching that Cygwin list is not always the first thing that
> springs to mind for some of us PostgreSQL users (pgsql-cygwin maybe...).

Since PostgreSQL under Windows relies on Cygwin, I strongly recommend
searching the Cygwin list.  Many "Cygwin PostgreSQL issues" are actually
just "Cygwin issues."

> I for one don't subscribe to the Cygwin list and probably never will - the
> traffic on the other 6 or 7 lists I read is hard enough to keep up with - so
> I don't tend to think of it when I should do.

I understand why you don't subscribe -- I can barely keep up with the
traffic myself.  But, the Cygwin mailing list archives are some of the
best on the Net:

    o posts show up immediately (not delayed by a day or more)
    o posts do not get lost
    o good search engine

So, you don't have to subscribe -- you just have to search.

In this case, searching for "cygncurses5" as in:

http://www.cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=htdig&restrict=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F&exclude=&method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=time&words=cygncurses5

finds a result set such that the *second* entry indicates a resolution
for this problem.

Hopefully, my "telling-off" wasn't too harsh...

Jason

Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From
Dave Page

Luck didn't come into it - I didn't rename anything :-)

> > unfortunately the reality
> > is that searching that Cygwin list is not always the first
> thing that
> > springs to mind for some of us PostgreSQL users (pgsql-cygwin
> > maybe...).
>
> Since PostgreSQL under Windows relies on Cygwin, I strongly
> recommend searching the Cygwin list.  Many "Cygwin PostgreSQL
> issues" are actually just "Cygwin issues."

I know, unfortunately human nature being what it is...

> Hopefully, my "telling-off" wasn't too harsh...

:-)

Regards, Dave.