RE: Gita Press - win98 regression

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Date:
    I probably waaaay out. I was trying it on a development machine at
the same time as doing other stuff and everything became really slooooow as
the disk thrashed around so from then on I ran it when I left for the night,
so don't know how long it takes on 9x (well, forever as you said :) ).
However, I probably should have thought about the speed it runs at on NT
rather than my very clutered development machine.
    Has any one else had more success than me in getting it working? If
not I'll download the latest cygwin release and give that another run
through.
- Stuart

Date:
Stuart,

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 03:57:06PM +0100, Henshall, Stuart - WCP wrote:
> If not I'll download the latest cygwin release and give that another run
> through.

Try using time as in:

    $ time make check

If it does not hang, then you will know how long the test took.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

RE: Gita Press - win98 regression

From
Aditya Gilra
Date:
||Shriharih||

God-Remembrance.

>     Has any one else had more success than me in
> getting it working? If
> not I'll download the latest cygwin release and give
> that another run
> through.
> - Stuart

Will be much obliged if you could do it and post the
results here. Pl. use the pre-built binary for
postgresql in the contribs section at cygwin. Wonder
who built it and put it there? I've never done
regression testing before so I don't know how to do
it.

Thanks, God-Remembrance,
Aditya.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Gita Press - win98 regression

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Aditya,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:16:01PM -0700, Aditya Gilra wrote:
> Pl. use the pre-built binary for
> postgresql in the contribs section at cygwin. Wonder
> who built it and put it there?

Me (aka the Cygwin PostgreSQL maintainer).

> I've never done
> regression testing before so I don't know how to do
> it.

Running the regression test is easy but requires the source.  There are
two ways of running the test:

    $ make check

and

    $ make installcheck

The former tests PostgreSQL in the source tree by creating a temporary
installation, starting postmaster, and then running the regression test.
The latter tests an already installed PostgreSQL by just running the
regression test with the implicit assumption that postmaster is already
running.  You probably want the latter.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Gita Press - win98 regression

From
Aditya Gilra
Date:
||Shriharih||

God Remembrance Jason,

Nice to know you're the maintainer.

I have the postgresql binary running fine on WIN98SE
and connecting via the windows version of
pgaccess/TCL/Tk

I dnloaded the source from cygwin to do the regression
tests on WIN98SE.
./configure ran fine though I don't have flex or bison
but that shouldn't matter.
Tried the configure recipe from build.sh also
but same error as below for make installcheck.

but following are the errors with
make installcheck. I had ipc-daemon running bg while
doing the following.

$ make installcheck
make -C src/test installcheck
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/test'
make -C regress installcheck
make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/test/regress'
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations  -I../../../src/interf
aces/libpq -I../../../src/include -I/usr/local/include
 -c -o regress.o regress.
dlltool --export-all --output-def regress.def
regress.o
dllwrap -o regress.dll --def regress.def regress.o
../../../src/utils/dllinit.o
-L../../../src/backend -lpostgres -lcygipc -lcrypt
gcc: ../../../src/utils/dllinit.o: No such file or
directory
dllwrap: gcc exited with status 1
make[2]: *** [regress.dll] Error 1
rm regress.o
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/test/regress'
make[1]: *** [installcheck] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/test'
make: *** [installcheck] Error 2

What am I doing wrong?

Also tried make.

Showing end of the output. The beginning scrolled
above.

make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/backend'
make -C utils fmgroids.h
make[3]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/backend/utils'
CPP='gcc -E' AWK='' /bin/sh.exe Gen_fmgrtab.sh
../../../src/include/catalog/pg_p
roc.h

BEGIN           { raw = 0; }
/^DATA/         { print; next; }
/^BKI_BEGIN/    { raw = 1; next; }
/^BKI_END/      { raw = 0; next; }
raw == 1        { print; next; }: not found

/^#/            { print; next; }
$4 == "12"      { print; next; }: not found
Gen_fmgrtab.sh failed
make[3]: *** [fmgroids.h] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/backend/utils'
make[2]: *** [utils/fmgroids.h] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/backend'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Hope you can help out.

Best Regards and God-Remembrance,
Aditya.

--- Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> wrote:
> Aditya,
>
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:16:01PM -0700, Aditya
> Gilra wrote:
> > Pl. use the pre-built binary for
> > postgresql in the contribs section at cygwin.
> Wonder
> > who built it and put it there?
>
> Me (aka the Cygwin PostgreSQL maintainer).
>
> > I've never done
> > regression testing before so I don't know how to
> do
> > it.
>
> Running the regression test is easy but requires the
> source.  There are
> two ways of running the test:
>
>     $ make check
>
> and
>
>     $ make installcheck
>
> The former tests PostgreSQL in the source tree by
> creating a temporary
> installation, starting postmaster, and then running
> the regression test.
> The latter tests an already installed PostgreSQL by
> just running the
> regression test with the implicit assumption that
> postmaster is already
> running.  You probably want the latter.
>
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Tishler
> Director, Software Engineering       Phone:
> 732.264.8770 x235
> Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:
> 732.264.8798
> 82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email:
> Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
> Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:
> http://www.dothill.com

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Gita Press - win98 regression

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Aditya,

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 06:24:48PM -0700, Aditya Gilra wrote:
> I dnloaded the source from cygwin to do the regression
> tests on WIN98SE.
> ./configure ran fine though I don't have flex or bison
> but that shouldn't matter.

Yes, but you really should install all of Cygwin, see below...

> Tried the configure recipe from build.sh also
> but same error as below for make installcheck.
>
> $ make installcheck
> [snip]
> dllwrap -o regress.dll --def regress.def regress.o
> ../../../src/utils/dllinit.o
> -L../../../src/backend -lpostgres -lcygipc -lcrypt
> gcc: ../../../src/utils/dllinit.o: No such file or
> directory
> dllwrap: gcc exited with status 1
> make[2]: *** [regress.dll] Error 1
> [snip]
> make: *** [installcheck] Error 2
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I guess that one must successfully run make before running make
installcheck.  Since I always do, I didn't notice this dependence
until now.

> Also tried make.
>
> Showing end of the output. The beginning scrolled
> above.
>
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/backend'
> make -C utils fmgroids.h
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2/src/backend/utils'
> CPP='gcc -E' AWK='' /bin/sh.exe Gen_fmgrtab.sh
               ^^^^^^

You did not install the gawk package and possibly other required
development packages.  Please do so and try again.

Jason