Should Cygwin PostgreSQL contain all header files?

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
In the process of helping someone build PoPy

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/popy

under Cygwin, I have realized that my Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution
may be missing some header files.

Please see the following for details:

The bottom line is should I be using

    make -C src/include install-all-headers

instead of

    make -C src/include install

or is PoPy's use of non-client-side headers incorrect?

BTW, it appears that others (i.e., non-Cygwin users) have noticed this
issue too:

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=426982&group_id=15454&atid=115454

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

Re: [GENERAL] Should Cygwin PostgreSQL contain all header files?

Date:
Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes:
> The bottom line is should I be using
>     make -C src/include install-all-headers
> instead of
>     make -C src/include install
> or is PoPy's use of non-client-side headers incorrect?

If PoPy is client-side code and not something that loads into the
server, then I'd discourage it from using any headers that are not
installed by default in 7.1.  Which headers are in question here,
and what breaks if you don't include them?

As for your more general question, what you need to answer is whether
you expect users of the Cygwin distribution to be doing server-side
code development.  If they are, they'll want the full header tree.
Otherwise it's just clutter.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Should Cygwin PostgreSQL contain all header files?

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Tom,

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:40:47PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tishler <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes:
> > The bottom line is should I be using
> >     make -C src/include install-all-headers
> > instead of
> >     make -C src/include install
> > or is PoPy's use of non-client-side headers incorrect?
>
> If PoPy is client-side code and not something that loads into the
> server, then I'd discourage it from using any headers that are not
> installed by default in 7.1.  Which headers are in question here,

The following are (some of) the headers in question:

    postgres.h
    catalog/pg_type.h
    utils/elog.h
    utils/palloc.h

> and what breaks if you don't include them?

I don't know.  I was just helping someone build Cygwin PoPy -- I am not
personally interested enough in PoPy to see what happens.  Since I am
both the Cygwin Python and PostgreSQL maintainer, it seemed like the
right thing to do.

Actually, I was much more interest in the larger issue -- which I
appreciate you answering below.

> As for your more general question, what you need to answer is whether
> you expect users of the Cygwin distribution to be doing server-side
> code development.  If they are, they'll want the full header tree.
> Otherwise it's just clutter.

So far, I believe that most users have been interested in just being
able to run the server and interface via JDBC, ODBC, psql, etc.  Until I
get more demand, I intend to only include the normal (i.e., client-side)
headers.

Thanks,
Jason