pgsql: Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

Bernd Helmle

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0892ecbc015930dde2cee9ad464b9b70fdb7667e

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml          |   13 +++++++++++++
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c |    4 ++++
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c      |   12 ++++++++++++
3 files changed, 29 insertions(+)

Re: pgsql: Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

Is there are reason this wasn't back-patched to 9.3?  I think it should
be.

Re: pgsql: Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Is there are reason this wasn't back-patched to 9.3?  I think it should
> be.

+1.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On 02/18/2014 09:39 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.
>
> Is there are reason this wasn't back-patched to 9.3?  I think it should
> be.

I considered it a new feature, so not back-patching was the default. If
you want to back-patch it, I won't object.

- Heikki

Re: pgsql: Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2014-02-18 22:23:59 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >>Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.
> >
> >Is there are reason this wasn't back-patched to 9.3?  I think it should
> >be.

Thirded.

> I considered it a new feature, so not back-patching was the default. If you
> want to back-patch it, I won't object.

Imo it's essentially a simple oversight in the checksum patch...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

--On 18. Februar 2014 22:23:59 +0200 Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi>
wrote:

> I considered it a new feature, so not back-patching was the default. If
> you want to back-patch it, I won't object.

That was my original feeling, too, but +1 for backpatching.

--
Thanks

    Bernd

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 04:39:27PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.
>
> Is there are reason this wasn't back-patched to 9.3?  I think it should
> be.

+1 for back-patching.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 04:39:27PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> > Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.
>>
>> Is there are reason this wasn't back-patched to 9.3?  I think it should
>> be.
>
> +1 for back-patching.
Back-patching would be interesting for existing applications, but -1
as it is a new feature :)
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Add a GUC to report whether data page checksums are enabled.

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for back-patching.
> Back-patching would be interesting for existing applications, but -1
> as it is a new feature :)

I think that it rises to the level of an omission in 9.3 that now
requires correction. Many of our users couldn't run pg_controldata
even if they'd heard of it...

--
Peter Geoghegan

Date:
On 02/20/2014 04:15 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1 for back-patching.
>> Back-patching would be interesting for existing applications, but -1
>> as it is a new feature :)
>
> I think that it rises to the level of an omission in 9.3 that now
> requires correction. Many of our users couldn't run pg_controldata
> even if they'd heard of it...

We seem to have +Many against -1, so back-patched it now.

- Heikki