pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
Allow external recovery_config_directory
If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bc5334d8679c428a709d150666b288171795bd76

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml          |   17 +++++++++++++++++
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c |   18 +++++++++++-------
src/backend/utils/init/globals.c  |    1 +
src/backend/utils/init/miscinit.c |   19 +++++++++++++++++++
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c      |   24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/include/miscadmin.h           |    2 ++
src/include/utils/guc.h           |    1 +

Re: pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Allow external recovery_config_directory
> If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
> Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.

Should we consider verifying that it has write permissions and fail
early if not?

AFAICT, right now we fail *after* doing a bunch of things if the user
only has readonly permissions?

I'm sure a common thing will be for people to try to set this to
/etc/postgresql or similar...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
On 27 March 2013 12:02, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Allow external recovery_config_directory
>> If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
>> Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.
>
> Should we consider verifying that it has write permissions and fail
> early if not?

Sounds like a good plan. Will do.

> AFAICT, right now we fail *after* doing a bunch of things if the user
> only has readonly permissions?
>
> I'm sure a common thing will be for people to try to set this to
> /etc/postgresql or similar...

Re: pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 27 March 2013 11:47, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Allow external recovery_config_directory
> If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
> Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.

The docs don't build due to this commit.  Please remove the unpaired
"<variablelist>" from line 333 of config.sgml.

--
Thom

Date:
On 27 March 2013 13:14, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 27 March 2013 11:47, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Allow external recovery_config_directory
>> If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
>> Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.
>
> The docs don't build due to this commit.  Please remove the unpaired
> "<variablelist>" from line 333 of config.sgml.

Thanks

Re: pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
On 03/27/2013 07:47 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Allow external recovery_config_directory
> If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
> Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.

This patch appears to have broken Windows builds on the buildfarm.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:

> doc/src/sgml/config.sgml          |  17 +++++++++++++++++

So that doc builds could proceed without error I fixed the obvious
pasto in config.sgml.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company