pgsql: Make each pg_stat_ view into it's own table in the documentation

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Make each pg_stat_ view into it's own table in the documentation

This makes it easier to match a column name with the description of it,
and makes it possible to add more detailed documentation in the future.

This patch does not add that extra documentation at this point, only
the structure required for it.

Modeled on the changes already done to pg_stat_activity.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/da9ed7dafdc49e6571d056d92f2ef67858d68946

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/monitoring.sgml |  941 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----

Re: pgsql: Make each pg_stat_ view into it's own table in the documentation

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 25 February 2012 14:33, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Make each pg_stat_ view into it's own table in the documentation
>
> This makes it easier to match a column name with the description of it,
> and makes it possible to add more detailed documentation in the future.
>
> This patch does not add that extra documentation at this point, only
> the structure required for it.
>
> Modeled on the changes already done to pg_stat_activity.

Some corrections in the attached patch:

s/database wide/database-wide/

(several occurrences throughout)

"The number of transactions in this database that has committed"
should be:
"The number of transactions in this database that have been committed"

"The number of transactions in this database that has rolled back"
should be:
"The number of transactions in this database that have been rolled back"

"The remote TCP port that the client is using for communication+ to
the , or <symbol>NULL</> if a unix socket is used."
(space before comma needs removing)

"The OID of the table this row"
should be:
"The OID of the table"

Changing all instances of "The oid" to "The OID" for consistency.

--
Thom

Attachment

Date:
On 25 February 2012 15:20, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 25 February 2012 14:33, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Make each pg_stat_ view into it's own table in the documentation
>>
>> This makes it easier to match a column name with the description of it,
>> and makes it possible to add more detailed documentation in the future.
>>
>> This patch does not add that extra documentation at this point, only
>> the structure required for it.
>>
>> Modeled on the changes already done to pg_stat_activity.
>
> Some corrections in the attached patch:
>
> s/database wide/database-wide/
>
> (several occurrences throughout)
>
> "The number of transactions in this database that has committed"
> should be:
> "The number of transactions in this database that have been committed"
>
> "The number of transactions in this database that has rolled back"
> should be:
> "The number of transactions in this database that have been rolled back"
>
> "The remote TCP port that the client is using for communication+ to
> the , or <symbol>NULL</> if a unix socket is used."
> (space before comma needs removing)
>
> "The OID of the table this row"
> should be:
> "The OID of the table"
>
> Changing all instances of "The oid" to "The OID" for consistency.

I've noticed I made a blind correction.  I only observed the space
before the comma, whereas what I should have paid attention to
was the actual sentence:

"The remote TCP port that the client is using for communication to
the, or NULL if a unix socket is used."
should probably be:
"The remote TCP port that the client is using for communication, or
NULL if a unix socket is used."

--
Thom