pgsql-server/src/backend/postmaster postmaster.c

From
momjian@svr1.postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian)
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    momjian@svr1.postgresql.org    03/09/03 21:36:55

Modified files:
    src/backend/postmaster: postmaster.c

Log message:
    Lowercase CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS.

Re: pgsql-server/src/backend/postmaster postmaster.c

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 20:37, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Modified files:
>     src/backend/postmaster: postmaster.c
>
> Log message:
>     Lowercase CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this idea, but if we're going to
do it, we should update this as well:

backend/parser/parse_expr.c:
errdetail("Nesting depth exceeds MAX_EXPR_DEPTH = %d."

and this:

backend/utils/fmgr/dfmgr.c:                        errmsg("zero-length
component in DYNAMIC_LIBRARY_PATH")));
backend/utils/fmgr/dfmgr.c:
errmsg("DYNAMIC_LIBRARY_PATH component is not absolute")));

And possibly other error messages, I didn't search exhaustively.

-Neil

Re: pgsql-server/src/backend/postmaster postmaster.c

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 20:37, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Modified files:
> >     src/backend/postmaster: postmaster.c
> >
> > Log message:
> >     Lowercase CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS.
>
> I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this idea, but if we're going to
> do it, we should update this as well:
>
> backend/parser/parse_expr.c:
> errdetail("Nesting depth exceeds MAX_EXPR_DEPTH = %d."
>
> and this:
>
> backend/utils/fmgr/dfmgr.c:                        errmsg("zero-length
> component in DYNAMIC_LIBRARY_PATH")));
> backend/utils/fmgr/dfmgr.c:
> errmsg("DYNAMIC_LIBRARY_PATH component is not absolute")));
>

> And possibly other error messages, I didn't search exhaustively.

Well, let's make sure first that this is what most people want.

Comments?  We can always revert CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS.

Re: pgsql-server/src/backend/postmaster postmaster.c

Date:
> Neil Conway wrote:
>> I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this idea, but if we're going to
>> do it, we should update this as well:

> Well, let's make sure first that this is what most people want.

I don't care for it at all.  The documentation lists GUC variables in
upper case for the most part, are you planning to undo that?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Neil Conway wrote:
> >> I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this idea, but if we're going to
> >> do it, we should update this as well:
>
> > Well, let's make sure first that this is what most people want.
>
> I don't care for it at all.  The documentation lists GUC variables in
> upper case for the most part, are you planning to undo that?

Someone emailed me privately to say he wasn't confused by the upper case
either, and because we have other uppercase in error messages, I am
changing CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS back to uppercase.