pgsql/doc/src/sgml Makefile cvs.sgml datatype. ...

From
thomas@postgresql.org
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    thomas@postgresql.org    01/12/07 22:24:40

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml   : Makefile cvs.sgml datatype.sgml docguide.sgml
                     installation.sgml syntax.sgml

Log message:
    Update list of currently supported platforms.
    Mention SQL9x precision syntax for date/time types.
    Use PostgreSQL consistantly throughout docs. Before, usage was split evenly
    between Postgres and PostgreSQL.

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml/ref: abort.sgml allfiles.sgml alter_group.sgml
                      alter_table.sgml alter_user.sgml analyze.sgml
                      begin.sgml close.sgml cluster.sgml
                      comment.sgml commit.sgml copy.sgml
                      create_aggregate.sgml create_constraint.sgml
                      create_database.sgml create_function.sgml
                      create_group.sgml create_index.sgml
                      create_language.sgml create_operator.sgml
                      create_rule.sgml create_sequence.sgml
                      create_table.sgml create_table_as.sgml
                      create_trigger.sgml create_type.sgml
                      create_user.sgml create_view.sgml
                      createdb.sgml createlang.sgml createuser.sgml
                      current_time.sgml current_timestamp.sgml
                      current_user.sgml declare.sgml delete.sgml
                      drop_aggregate.sgml drop_database.sgml
                      drop_function.sgml drop_group.sgml
                      drop_index.sgml drop_language.sgml
                      drop_operator.sgml drop_rule.sgml
                      drop_sequence.sgml drop_table.sgml
                      drop_trigger.sgml drop_type.sgml
                      drop_user.sgml drop_view.sgml dropdb.sgml
                      droplang.sgml dropuser.sgml ecpg-ref.sgml
                      end.sgml explain.sgml fetch.sgml grant.sgml
                      initdb.sgml initlocation.sgml insert.sgml
                      ipcclean.sgml listen.sgml lock.sgml move.sgml
                      notify.sgml pg_ctl-ref.sgml pg_dump.sgml
                      pg_dumpall.sgml pg_passwd.sgml pg_upgrade.sgml
                      pgaccess-ref.sgml pgtclsh.sgml pgtksh.sgml
                      postgres-ref.sgml postmaster.sgml
                      psql-ref.sgml reindex.sgml reset.sgml
                      revoke.sgml rollback.sgml select.sgml
                      select_into.sgml set.sgml set_transaction.sgml
                      show.sgml truncate.sgml unlisten.sgml
                      update.sgml vacuum.sgml vacuumdb.sgml

Log message:
    Use PostgreSQL consistantly throughout docs. Before, usage was split evenly
    between Postgres and PostgreSQL.

Re: pgsql/doc/src/sgml Makefile cvs.sgml datatype. ...

Date:
Can I ask why a full path of /usr/bin/ was added to collateindex.pl with
no discussion and no mention in the cvs logs?  This broke my automatic
build because my binary is in the sgml binary directory.  Can it be put
back?

Thanks.

> CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
> Module name:    pgsql
> Changes by:    thomas@postgresql.org    01/12/07 22:24:40
>
> Modified files:
>     doc/src/sgml   : Makefile cvs.sgml datatype.sgml docguide.sgml
>                      installation.sgml syntax.sgml
>
> Log message:
>     Update list of currently supported platforms.
>     Mention SQL9x precision syntax for date/time types.
>     Use PostgreSQL consistantly throughout docs. Before, usage was split evenly
>     between Postgres and PostgreSQL.
>
> Modified files:
>     doc/src/sgml/ref: abort.sgml allfiles.sgml alter_group.sgml
>                       alter_table.sgml alter_user.sgml analyze.sgml
>                       begin.sgml close.sgml cluster.sgml
>                       comment.sgml commit.sgml copy.sgml
>                       create_aggregate.sgml create_constraint.sgml
>                       create_database.sgml create_function.sgml
>                       create_group.sgml create_index.sgml
>                       create_language.sgml create_operator.sgml
>                       create_rule.sgml create_sequence.sgml
>                       create_table.sgml create_table_as.sgml
>                       create_trigger.sgml create_type.sgml
>                       create_user.sgml create_view.sgml
>                       createdb.sgml createlang.sgml createuser.sgml
>                       current_time.sgml current_timestamp.sgml
>                       current_user.sgml declare.sgml delete.sgml
>                       drop_aggregate.sgml drop_database.sgml
>                       drop_function.sgml drop_group.sgml
>                       drop_index.sgml drop_language.sgml
>                       drop_operator.sgml drop_rule.sgml
>                       drop_sequence.sgml drop_table.sgml
>                       drop_trigger.sgml drop_type.sgml
>                       drop_user.sgml drop_view.sgml dropdb.sgml
>                       droplang.sgml dropuser.sgml ecpg-ref.sgml
>                       end.sgml explain.sgml fetch.sgml grant.sgml
>                       initdb.sgml initlocation.sgml insert.sgml
>                       ipcclean.sgml listen.sgml lock.sgml move.sgml
>                       notify.sgml pg_ctl-ref.sgml pg_dump.sgml
>                       pg_dumpall.sgml pg_passwd.sgml pg_upgrade.sgml
>                       pgaccess-ref.sgml pgtclsh.sgml pgtksh.sgml
>                       postgres-ref.sgml postmaster.sgml
>                       psql-ref.sgml reindex.sgml reset.sgml
>                       revoke.sgml rollback.sgml select.sgml
>                       select_into.sgml set.sgml set_transaction.sgml
>                       show.sgml truncate.sgml unlisten.sgml
>                       update.sgml vacuum.sgml vacuumdb.sgml
>
> Log message:
>     Use PostgreSQL consistantly throughout docs. Before, usage was split evenly
>     between Postgres and PostgreSQL.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: pgsql/doc/src/sgml Makefile cvs.sgml datatype. ...

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Can I ask why a full path of /usr/bin/ was added to collateindex.pl with
> no discussion and no mention in the cvs logs?  This broke my automatic
> build because my binary is in the sgml binary directory.  Can it be put
> back?

Well, because it was a mistake on my part ;)

By default, *my* docs build does not work without an altered Makefile,
since the binaries are not found (being located in /usr/bin, not in some
hardcoded directory elsewhere).

That would seem to be an undesirable feature (hardcoding paths to
binaries, wherever they are located). However, I did not intend to
commit that Makefile; it snuck through with the commit of the 50 other
files in that same docs "commitball". Will back out the change (or you
can if you prefer). Of course, no hardcoded paths would be even
better...

                    - Thomas

Re: pgsql/doc/src/sgml Makefile cvs.sgml datatype. ...

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
(cc'd to -hackers; the topic is my accidentally committing a modified
Makefile, since recovered by Peter E.)

> ... Of course, no hardcoded paths would be even
> better...

It actually is a perl script, not a full-out standalone program. It
seems like we would need this to be a config item or at least capable of
being overridden with Makefile.custom.

Peter, how would you suggest we think about generalizing this?

                   - Thomas

Re: pgsql/doc/src/sgml Makefile cvs.sgml datatype. ...

Date:
I understgand the accidental commit problem.  Happens to me to at times.

Thanks.  That fixed my build.  My SGML files or on the web again.