pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/sto ...

From
tgl@postgresql.org
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    01/09/30 14:57:45

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml   : runtime.sgml
    src/backend/storage/file: fd.c
    src/backend/utils/misc: guc.c postgresql.conf.sample
    src/include/storage: fd.h

Log message:
    Create a GUC parameter max_files_per_process that is a configurable
    upper limit on what we will believe from sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX).  The
    default value is 1000, so that under ordinary conditions it won't
    affect the behavior.  But on platforms where the kernel promises far
    more than it can deliver, this can be used to prevent running out of
    file descriptors.  See numerous past discussions, eg, pgsql-hackers
    around 23-Dec-2000.

Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/backend/sto ...

> CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
> Module name:    pgsql
> Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    01/09/30 14:57:45
>
> Modified files:
>     doc/src/sgml   : runtime.sgml
>     src/backend/storage/file: fd.c
>     src/backend/utils/misc: guc.c postgresql.conf.sample
>     src/include/storage: fd.h
>
> Log message:
>     Create a GUC parameter max_files_per_process that is a configurable
>     upper limit on what we will believe from sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX).  The
>     default value is 1000, so that under ordinary conditions it won't
>     affect the behavior.  But on platforms where the kernel promises far
>     more than it can deliver, this can be used to prevent running out of
>     file descriptors.  See numerous past discussions, eg, pgsql-hackers
>     around 23-Dec-2000.

TODO updated.