pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/ref/create_function.sgml rc ...

From
Bruce Momjian - CVS
CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    momjian@hub.org    01/06/04 19:27:24

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml/ref: create_function.sgml
    src/backend/parser: analyze.c gram.y parse_expr.c
    src/include/nodes: parsenodes.h
    src/test/regress/input: create_function_2.source misc.source
    src/test/regress/output: create_function_2.source misc.source

Log message:
    This patch adds support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION argument and return
    types.  This version has an elog() to remind the user the type
    resolution is not dynamic.

    Ian Lance Taylor

Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/ref/create_function.sgml rc ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian - CVS writes:

>     This patch adds support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION argument and return
>     types.  This version has an elog() to remind the user the type
>     resolution is not dynamic.

I put forth my objection to more of these "friendly reminders".

Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/ref/create_function.sgml rc ...

Date:
> I put forth my objection to more of these "friendly reminders".

I've been thinking for awhile that we need to subdivide elog level
NOTICE into more than one severity level, and add GUC variables to
define the minimum severity levels that get logged and/or sent to
the client.  Then we could classify the "friendly reminders" at a
lower level, allowing people to suppress them while not missing the
less routine stuff.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/ref/create_function.sgml rc ...

Date:
> Bruce Momjian - CVS writes:
>
> >     This patch adds support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION argument and return
> >     types.  This version has an elog() to remind the user the type
> >     resolution is not dynamic.
>
> I put forth my objection to more of these "friendly reminders".

I hear you.  It was tough getting this patch in, and the "reminder" got
us out of deadlock.  If we develop votes against the reminder, I am
really stuck.  :-)