  Date: Tuesday, July  4, 2000 @ 01:17:03
Author: momjian

Update of /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot/pgsql/doc/TODO.detail
     from hub.org:/home/projects/pgsql/tmp/cvs-serv13812/pgsql/doc/TODO.detail

Removed Files:
    alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null
    pg_shadow primary

-----------------------------  Log Message  -----------------------------

Remove unused TODO.detail files.

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Bruce Momjian - CVS wrote:

> Removed Files:
>     alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null
>     pg_shadow primary

What are we going to do with the flock? Remove it? I asked about this
yesterday, I guess it's not useful anymore.

> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Bruce Momjian - CVS wrote:
>
> > Removed Files:
> >     alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null
> >     pg_shadow primary
>
> What are we going to do with the flock? Remove it? I asked about this
> yesterday, I guess it's not useful anymore.

Well, we have the postmaster pid thing working now.  Is there an issue
with flock() I have forgotten?

eisentrp@csis.gvsu.edu writes:
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Bruce Momjian - CVS wrote:
>> Removed Files:
>> alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null
>> pg_shadow primary

> What are we going to do with the flock? Remove it? I asked about this
> yesterday, I guess it's not useful anymore.

It still is, because the $PGDATA pid file only guards against starting
two postmasters in the same data directory.  You still need some lock
against starting two postmasters on the same port number.  The TCP
socket address can take care of itself, but if one or both postmasters
is started without -i then there's got to be some interlock on the Unix
socket file.

I don't much like depending on flock for that, since it isn't available
everywhere.  The only portable answer is to build a pid-containing
interlock file for each socket file, as discussed in the TODO item.

It was premature of Bruce to delete the flock TODO file, since there is
still a lot of undone stuff in there concerning both this issue and
moving the Unix-socket file to a safer place than /tmp.

            regards, tom lane

PS: Hey Bruce, mail directly to your personal address
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us has been bouncing since Sunday.

> eisentrp@csis.gvsu.edu writes:
> > On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Bruce Momjian - CVS wrote:
> >> Removed Files:
> >> alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null
> >> pg_shadow primary
>
> > What are we going to do with the flock? Remove it? I asked about this
> > yesterday, I guess it's not useful anymore.
>
> It still is, because the $PGDATA pid file only guards against starting
> two postmasters in the same data directory.  You still need some lock
> against starting two postmasters on the same port number.  The TCP
> socket address can take care of itself, but if one or both postmasters
> is started without -i then there's got to be some interlock on the Unix
> socket file.
>
> I don't much like depending on flock for that, since it isn't available
> everywhere.  The only portable answer is to build a pid-containing
> interlock file for each socket file, as discussed in the TODO item.
>
> It was premature of Bruce to delete the flock TODO file, since there is
> still a lot of undone stuff in there concerning both this issue and
> moving the Unix-socket file to a safer place than /tmp.

OK, I have re-added TODO.detail, and re-added the TODO item.