ram consumption

From
Petar Djurkovic
Date:
Hi,

When I stop postgresql instance ram mem which postgres used stay
uncleared and I must restart host machine, why is that happen and how
can I solve this problem?

Version of my Postgresql is 9.4.

Best Regards,

Petar Djurkovic

Re: ram consumption

Date:
Petar Djurkovic <petar.djurkovic@cbs.co.rs> writes:
> When I stop postgresql instance ram mem which postgres used stay
> uncleared and I must restart host machine, why is that happen and how
> can I solve this problem?

It's unlikely that this is a bug, but: how are you stopping Postgres
exactly?  What observation convinces you that memory is not being
reclaimed?  What's the operating system?

> Version of my Postgresql is 9.4.

9.4.which exactly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: ram consumption

From
Petar Djurkovic
Date:
I stop postgresql with "service postgresql stop" when I stop my web
application, postgresql running on Ubuntu 15.

Example, while running Postgresql he use 78 GB I see that on htop or top
also same state with free mem and when I stop Postgresql ram consumption
stay on 78 GB.

I every day run VACUUM(ANALYSE) and use pg_repack also autovacuum is on

This is part of my postgresql.conf:

checkpoint_timeout = 10min
max_connections = 200
shared_buffers = 12GB
effective_cache_size = 100GB
work_mem = 167772kB
maintenance_work_mem = 2GB
checkpoint_segments = 64
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
wal_buffers = 16MB

Best Regards,
Petar Djurkovic
On 5/28/2016 6:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Petar Djurkovic <petar.djurkovic@cbs.co.rs> writes:
>> When I stop postgresql instance ram mem which postgres used stay
>> uncleared and I must restart host machine, why is that happen and how
>> can I solve this problem?
> It's unlikely that this is a bug, but: how are you stopping Postgres
> exactly?  What observation convinces you that memory is not being
> reclaimed?  What's the operating system?
>
>> Version of my Postgresql is 9.4.
> 9.4.which exactly?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: ram consumption

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 29/05/16 05:18, Petar Djurkovic wrote:
> I stop postgresql with "service postgresql stop" when I stop my web
> application, postgresql running on Ubuntu 15.
>
> Example, while running Postgresql he use 78 GB I see that on htop or
> top also same state with free mem and when I stop Postgresql ram
> consumption stay on 78 GB.
>
> I every day run VACUUM(ANALYSE) and use pg_repack also autovacuum is on
>
> This is part of my postgresql.conf:
>
> checkpoint_timeout = 10min
> max_connections = 200
> shared_buffers = 12GB
> effective_cache_size = 100GB
> work_mem = 167772kB
> maintenance_work_mem = 2GB
> checkpoint_segments = 64
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
> wal_buffers = 16MB
>
> Best Regards,
> Petar Djurkovic
> On 5/28/2016 6:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Petar Djurkovic <petar.djurkovic@cbs.co.rs> writes:
>>> When I stop postgresql instance ram mem which postgres used stay
>>> uncleared and I must restart host machine, why is that happen and how
>>> can I solve this problem?
>> It's unlikely that this is a bug, but: how are you stopping Postgres
>> exactly?  What observation convinces you that memory is not being
>> reclaimed?  What's the operating system?
>>
>>> Version of my Postgresql is 9.4.
>> 9.4.which exactly?
>>
>>             regards, tom lane

Note that pg 9.4 has 9 variants: from 9.4.0 through to 9.4.8 (see
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source) - Tom wants to know which one!

In this list, the convention is to post replies at the end (with some rare exceptions),
or interspersed when appropriate, and to omit parts no longer relevant.

The motivation of bottom posting like this: is that people get to see the context
before the reply, AND emails don't end up getting longer & longer as people reply
at the beginning forgetting to trim the now irrelevant stuff at the end.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: ram consumption

From
Petar Djurkovic
Date:
Postgresql version is 9.4.4 also host have 128 GB RAM and 16 cores.

Best Regards,

Petar

On 5/29/2016 12:16 AM, Gavin Flower wrote:

> On 29/05/16 05:18, Petar Djurkovic wrote:
>> I stop postgresql with "service postgresql stop" when I stop my web
>> application, postgresql running on Ubuntu 15.
>>
>> Example, while running Postgresql he use 78 GB I see that on htop or
>> top also same state with free mem and when I stop Postgresql ram
>> consumption stay on 78 GB.
>>
>> I every day run VACUUM(ANALYSE) and use pg_repack also autovacuum is on
>>
>> This is part of my postgresql.conf:
>>
>> checkpoint_timeout = 10min
>> max_connections = 200
>> shared_buffers = 12GB
>> effective_cache_size = 100GB
>> work_mem = 167772kB
>> maintenance_work_mem = 2GB
>> checkpoint_segments = 64
>> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
>> wal_buffers = 16MB
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Petar Djurkovic
>>> It's unlikely that this is a bug, but: how are you stopping Postgres
>>> exactly?  What observation convinces you that memory is not being
>>> reclaimed?  What's the operating system?

>>> 9.4.which exactly?
>>>
>>>             regards, tom lane
>>

> Note that pg 9.4 has 9 variants: from 9.4.0 through to 9.4.8 (see
> https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source) - Tom wants to know which one!
>
> In this list, the convention is to post replies at the end (with some
> rare exceptions),
> or interspersed when appropriate, and to omit parts no longer relevant.
>
> The motivation of bottom posting like this: is that people get to see
> the context
> before the reply, AND emails don't end up getting longer & longer as
> people reply
> at the beginning forgetting to trim the now irrelevant stuff at the end.
>

> Cheers,
> Gavin

Re: ram consumption

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
Please see message at the bottom of this post..

On 29/05/16 11:17, Petar Djurkovic wrote:
> Postgresql version is 9.4.4 also host have 128 GB RAM and 16 cores.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Petar
>
> On 5/29/2016 12:16 AM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>
>> On 29/05/16 05:18, Petar Djurkovic wrote:
>>> I stop postgresql with "service postgresql stop" when I stop my web
>>> application, postgresql running on Ubuntu 15.
[...]
>> In this list, the convention is to post replies at the end (with some
>> rare exceptions),
>> or interspersed when appropriate, and to omit parts no longer relevant.
>>
>> The motivation of bottom posting like this: is that people get to see
>> the context
>> before the reply, AND emails don't end up getting longer & longer as
>> people reply
>> at the beginning forgetting to trim the now irrelevant stuff at the end.
[...]

Please stop posting at the beginning of your email reply!

Re: ram consumption

From
Francisco Olarte
Hi:

Please, do not top post. It makes for harder reading.

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Petar Djurkovic
<petar.djurkovic@cbs.co.rs> wrote:
> I stop postgresql with "service postgresql stop" when I stop my web
> application, postgresql running on Ubuntu 15.
>
> Example, while running Postgresql he use 78 GB I see that on htop or top
> also same state with free mem and when I stop Postgresql ram consumption
> stay on 78 GB.

Are you sure you are measuring the right thing? Postgres should
dissapear from top when properly stopped, if it does not maybe you are
nor giving it enough time to stop or not looking at the right thing.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: ram consumption

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
On 28/05/16 21:26, Petar Djurkovic wrote:

> When I stop postgresql instance ram mem which postgres used stay
> uncleared and I must restart host machine, why is that happen and how
> can I solve this problem?

Can you show us output from some memory measuring tool (1st few lines of
'top' would probably be good enough)? I'd guess you are seeing the Linux
buffer cache at work (you could test by unmounting the filesystem
postgres was using - typically /var - and seeing if that magically
returned your memory)

regards

Mark