BUG #11671: UNACCENT call with constant arg evaluated for each row

From
t.chaumeny@gmail.com
Date:

Bug reference:      11671
Logged by:          Thomas
Email address:      t.chaumeny@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.5
Operating system:   OS X 10.9.4

I noticed that filtering on a constant condition using UNACCENT lead to
significantly slower queries than expected :

1 - First query without UNACCENT:

EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT first_name, last_name FROM user WHERE first_name =
'a';
                                                 QUERY PLAN

Seq Scan on user  (cost=0.00..2509.61 rows=1 width=32) (actual
time=19.814..19.814 rows=0 loops=1)
   Filter: ((first_name)::text = 'a'::text)
   Rows Removed by Filter: 31409
Total runtime: 19.870 ms
(4 rows)

2 - Second with UNACCENT (>4 times slower):

mydb=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT first_name, last_name FROM user WHERE
first_name = UNACCENT('a');
                                                 QUERY PLAN

Seq Scan on user  (cost=0.00..2588.14 rows=1 width=32) (actual
time=88.913..88.913 rows=0 loops=1)
   Filter: ((first_name)::text = unaccent('a'::text))
   Rows Removed by Filter: 31409
Total runtime: 88.969 ms
(4 rows)

Time: 89,767 ms

3 - Third with "SELECT UNACCENT(...)" — which seems to force constant
evaluation :

mydb=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT first_name, last_name FROM user WHERE
first_name = (SELECT UNACCENT('a'));
                                                 QUERY PLAN

 Seq Scan on user  (cost=0.01..2509.62 rows=1 width=32) (actual
time=16.875..16.875 rows=0 loops=1)
   Filter: ((first_name)::text = $0)
   Rows Removed by Filter: 31409
   InitPlan 1 (returns $0)
     ->  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=0) (actual time=0.024..0.025
rows=1 loops=1)
 Total runtime: 16.995 ms
(6 rows)

Since UNACCENT function is defined as STABLE, I would expect its result to
be evaluated only once in the second query.

Re: BUG #11671: UNACCENT call with constant arg evaluated for each row

Date:
t.chaumeny@gmail.com writes:
> Since UNACCENT function is defined as STABLE, I would expect its result to
> be evaluated only once in the second query.

The system does not promise any such thing for stable functions.
STABLE is a marker that it is *safe* to evaluate the function fewer
times than naive SQL semantics would suggest; it is not a requirement.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #11671: UNACCENT call with constant arg evaluated for each row

From
Thomas
Date:
I understand that this is not a requirement for a STABLE function. Still,
from the user point of view, I think it's unfortunate =E2=80=94 and unexpec=
ted for
those who don't know about UNACCENT not being defined as IMMUTABLE =E2=80=
=94 that
UNACCENT calls will make some queries very slow (I have another table where
the execution time goes from < 400ms to 4s+ because of that).

Regards,

Thomas

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> t.chaumeny@gmail.com writes:
> > Since UNACCENT function is defined as STABLE, I would expect its result
> > be evaluated only once in the second query.
>
> The system does not promise any such thing for stable functions.
> STABLE is a marker that it is *safe* to evaluate the function fewer
> times than naive SQL semantics would suggest; it is not a requirement.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #11671: UNACCENT call with constant arg evaluated for each row

From
David G Johnston
Date:
Tom Lane-2 wrote
> t.chaumeny@

>  writes:
>> Since UNACCENT function
>
> [...] than naive SQL [...]

Was that intentional... ;)

Given the planner knows its safe, and has to do a sequential scan and so
evaluate the expression many times, the question becomes why then doesn't it
choose that which is, in reality, the faster plan?

Reading 9.3@35.6
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/xfunc-volatility.html

I take it had the plan used an index instead of a sequential scan the
optimization would have occurred...

David J.