BUG #11399: CreateUser error when upgrading

From
kkaminski@vidsys.com
Date:

Bug reference:      11399
Logged by:          Kathy Kaminski
Email address:      kkaminski@vidsys.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.16
Operating system:   Windows 2008 R2

I'm trying to install PostGres via InstallShield for our application as a
prerequisite.  I noticed it won't let me upgrade from 9.0.13 to 9.0.16.  I
see the following error:

Error running
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\postgresql_installer_d64e804b58\validateuser.exe
"." "postgres" "****" : Program ended with an error exit code

My InstallShield installer doesn't know the difference between new install &
upgrade (it doesn't need to, it just invokes the installer), I just pass the
same params to my prereq.

Now, if I try to net /delete my user account, then run the installer, then I
get an error that it won't let me use the password I used before (which is
odd because it will allow it on a fresh install).  I changed the password,
ran through the install finally and THEN can't start the service because of
a permissions problem on the data directory!

I can't think of a way to work around this issue.  Seems that the script
should be smart enough to know it's doing an upgrade and to ignore the user
params.  I tried 9.0.16 & 9.0.18, but in 9.0.18 we can't run the 32 bit
installer because of another bug.

Here's what I'm passing for reference (passwords changed):

--unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --superaccount postgres
--serviceaccount postgres --servicepassword password--superpassword
password--datadir "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\PostgreSQL\9.0\data"

Re: BUG #11399: CreateUser error when upgrading

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 5:23 AM,  <kkaminski@vidsys.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install PostGres via InstallShield for our application as a
> prerequisite.  I noticed it won't let me upgrade from 9.0.13 to 9.0.16.  I
> see the following error:
>
> Error running
> C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\postgresql_installer_d64e804b58\validateuser.exe
This exe file is not part of the PostgreSQL code. You should contain
the person or the organism that made the msi you are using and report
to them that this script has a problem.
Michael